News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross document war1813-1815

I have a Prussian Iron Cross second class document for the 1813-1815 war, that was issued on 23d October 1816. Although the document is in a poor shape, and has been restored at the backside, I thought it might be interesting to show, as it was signed by king Friedrich Wilhelm exactly 200 years ago today. The text reads;

Wir Friedrich Wilhelm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      von Gottes Gnaden Konig von Preussen,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            haben dem Premier Lieutenant Stuerz, vom 14ten Schlesischen Landwehr Infanterie Regiment, das eiserne Kreuz zweiten Classe verliehen, und ertheilen demselben uber den rechtmassigen Bezitz dieser Auszeichnung das gegenwartige Beglaubigungs Schreiben mit Unseren eigenen Unterschrift und beygedruckten Koniglichen Insiegel.                                             Berlin, den 23ten Ocober 1816

hope you enjoy it, Pieter

P1020837.JPG

P1020840.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Pieter,

just found this post.  Really fascinating to see this original award document, it's an absolute gem.   Thanks for sharing it.   As well as the medals, I collect original documentation related to the Napoleonic wars too - I just find them fascinating as they have more 'life' than the medal, if that makes sense.  

Would love to see an award document for other Napoleonic era awards, if anyone has one.  I have seen one for the Dutch Silver Cross 1813 and I have one for the Ste Helene medal, so this makes three!   Happy boy tonight.

Kind regards,

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Owen and Chris,

thanks for your kind words. although my main collecting interest are the awards themselves, the related documents have indeed a more personal touch.

Chris, Lt Stuerz was still a petty officer during the action for which he was awarded the Iron Cross. With the document came an original transcript of the attestation from his commanding officer who recommended him for the award. Fortunately a modern "translation" was included, otherwise it would have been impossible to read. I have enclosed pictures of both.

Owen, if you go to the forum France, under the thread 1st Empire Legion d'Honneur, I have posted two award documents of the Legion d'Honneur during the reign of Napoleon. One is from 1809 and the other from May 1815 (awarded during the 100 days and therefore quite rare). both are signed by the Grand Chancelier, Comte de Lacepede, who was the first Chancellor of the Legion of Honour, dismissed in 1814 by King Louis, but re instated by Napoleon in April 1815. So you can add two more Napoleonic era award documents you have seen.

Regards, Pieter

P1020859.JPG

P1020860.JPG

Edited by pieter1012

Pieter,

sadly my German is not nearly good enough to read the translation without lots of time and application, but I am truly speechless that you have the citation document.  Thanks again for sharing...I have posted on your LoH documents too.  For me, these documents are the collecting X factor.

owen

Pieter,

just a P.S. to ask how you store/keep these fragile documents?

thanks,

owen

Owen,

explained very shortly, the attestation is about the capture of an enemy canon by then Unterofficier (petty officer) Stuerz during the battle at Katzbach on 26 August 1813. During a counter attack by  the enemy cavalry, Stuerz got captured, although the canon could be brought into the lines of the Prussians. Assuming Stuerz was killed, the undersigned, count Zu Eulenburg, then commander of the Prussian Hussars regiment, did not recommend Stuerz for an Iron Cross.  He states that it is his dutyful debt to now  draw up this attestation. Signed 29 July 1816 by Count zu Eulenberg, major of the 7th Hussars Regiment. Presumably, as a result of this statement, Stuerz, by then 1st Lieutenant, received the Iron Cross on 23d October 1816.

I keep my award documents in acid free paper files

Regards, Pieter

Edited by pieter1012
    spelling

Pieter,

thanks for taking the time to explain the citation - an extraordinarily personal insight to the man behind the medal.

thanks for the note on document storage too.

best wishes,

Owen

• 4 years later...
    • 1 year later...

Really nice to have it in writing 👍

Have you been able to find out more aboue Stuerz? The German archives have done a lot of digitalizing of the regiment's lists.

Regards,

Stefan