News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake 1st Flotilla U-boot "Mutzen Abzeichen" or not?

I stumbled upon an u-boat hat emblem (shown below) and I am anxious to learn whether or not this is the true insignia that was used back in them days. I myself am not interested in buying it but if you want to, you can find it here: http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/germanbadges2.htm  (search for: "u-141")

On this website they show the flipside of this badge too, which I think is in fact the front and portrays a horseshoe. The site equates this insignia with one belonging to the U-141 which I think it is not, but perhaps there is another U-boot with a horseshoe emblem aside from the U-99 & U-640...do you know?

Uboat_Flo1_logo.gif

DSCN1121.png

Edited by IJSBEER

IJSBEER

The metal insignia you have shown from Snider's site is for U-Boat Flotilla number 1.  Not specifically for U-141.  The emblem for that u-boat would be the one next to it.  The devil riding the torpedo.  These emblems were often found on the conning towers of the u-boats once the numbers were removed after the start of WWII.  All u-boats did not have emblems on their conning towers. Nor did all u-boat crews wear emblems on their caps.  Many of the emblems worn on the hats of u-boat crews were made on the boats and are therefore rough in appearance.  I have never bought anything from Snider but he does not have a very good reputation among collectors.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig