News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish War Medal

Gordon Williamson

• Replies 138
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen the arms with stiffening reinforcement on the back before to prevent flex-cracking! :beer:

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

John-- the finish has been polished off your BB&Co I'd say. Those are REALLY well plated, so that took some time (decades?) and tenacious effort!

Christian:

what a yucky-looking TWM...

but the very first Turkish issued battle bar I have seen (for Sinai :jumping::cheers: )

John-- the finish has been polished off your BB&Co I'd say. Those are REALLY well plated, so that took some time (decades?) and tenacious effort!

Christian:

what a yucky-looking TWM...

but the very first Turkish issued battle bar I have seen (for Sinai :jumping::cheers: )

Rick, you are probably right, but?

I?m entering a world that I know little about, so this may be a silly question. Could this badge be one of the bronze examples that Tim Tezer mentions on his site? :blush:

And I quote;

?Private purchase badges can be found in silver, white metal, silvered bronze, bronze, and even aluminum, with a variety of pin attachments, screw back attachments, or rings at the top for wear on a medal bar.?

Having looked at this badge very closely, I can see no signs of it having being polished. If it had I would expect to see remnants of plating in the inaccessible areas and some sign of wear/damage where the metal meets the enamelling. Looking at the badge, the star and crescent are made of bronze with only the crescent having being plated in brass. To have polished the plating up to the brass, but leaving this thin layer of brass plating intact, would have been some feat!

The reverse shows a cooling crack at the 4 o clock position, in which I would also expect to find evidence of plating, if plating was used.

The sheer marks/die cracks are all clean and how I would expect to see them, going on TR die characteristics, with no sign of excessive polishing.

Anyway, back to the original question. Could this be the bronze type? If not, what would the bronze type look like? Does anyone have one they could show this novice? ;)