News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified U-boat cap badge/Mützenabzeichen

I found this one 2 years ago on E-bay. The seller owned two copies of them but only this one he wanted to sell to me because of the rust and damages, but can someone tell me to which U-boot's crew this once belonged? Your help would be much appreciated.IMG_20161026_121543_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Strange thing is, and this has me concerned somewhat, is that the following image (although only on one website) is circulating on the internet and which I located only some weeks prior to this post: aufkleber-uboot-96-klein.jpg

This seems like an exact copy of the original.....or worse....vice versa. I am not so sure anymore about the authenticity of my hat badge all of the sudden, but it looks as real as it can get.

Edited by IJSBEER

Thank you Larry. I know that the "lachende schwertfisch" or "sägefisch" emblem belongs to, among other U-boats, the U-96 but what did the real cap badge of U-96 look like? Are there real ones in musea? I want to see one for future reference. Is there for instance a website where I can see all the original cap badges collected? I just want to know whether or not mine is real and exactly which U-boat crew wore it, provided that it is real of course. Is there certainty about the true color of the conning tower emblem of U-96 - if so, can someone show me more of that? Basically: I'm searching for a solid touchstone for these objects. 

The 9.Flottille swordfish is Red, as far as I know, but some individual U-boats use the same emblem in different colors, that's the difficulty I reckon. I'm quite a novice when it comes to this all but please educate me.

Edited by IJSBEER