News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Victory Medal - Unofficial Type 1 by Chobillon

Hello, Jannis,

Your medal of Charles, Charles is an unofficial medal as I am sure you know by now. I have added a little history. 

In 1920, in France a design competition was created.  The main stipulation was that it was only open to French artists who were also combatants.  The Government of France was slow in selecting the final design of their Victory Medal, causing French veterans to grow exceedingly impatient.  A further delay was due to the time it took to determine the criteria to be used to define eligibility for the medal.  This process lasted until 1923, even though private firms had already begun striking medals on their own, well before, and during, this long, four year period.

Charles-Charles was one of the designers.  He began selling his Victory Medal on the open market in hopes of finding favor with the veterans.  Marcel Pautot another designer teamed with Louis Octave Mattei after seeing that Charles' medal was, to some degree, selling successfully.  Yet, uncertainty and high costs might have limited the quantity of medals that both designers put on the open market.  The uncertainty came about because they were not only designers, but also businessmen. They knew that French veterans, for the sake of their pride, might only want the government-issued medals, and not unofficial, aftermarket ones.

This is from my book, World War I, Victory Medals which is still for sale at Amazon.com & Amazon.uk

Hello Johnnymac.
    Thank you very much for all the infos,I will looking on Amazon for your book.
    Best regards,Jannis.

Hello Lambert.
    I agree, especially the back of the Chobillon medal I find is a beautiful design.
    But also the front of the official edition as well.
    My opinion in this timeframe, in France were very good designers and manufacturers
    Best regards, Jannis

• 2 years later...
    On 30/07/2019 at 23:31, jhvelez said:

One question I have a CCharles Victory Medal but no triangle or bronze on the edge.

Hello jhvelez,

This question has already been asked, and answered, in the main French medal thread. In short examples of the Charles vic variety that do not have the edge/rim markings do exist but they are more difficult to find.  A good place to start would be the French medal thread as it has much more detailed information posted there.

Regards,
    Rob