News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RNVR bar for review

Hi Odulf!

Mainly interested in comments and thoughts of the bar, the recipient and the brunch of service. Is there a good potential for good interesting provenance? I would like to expand my collection and add British awards, which have some good story behind them (I almost exclusively collect awards with stories).

And valuation is also important, as I need to understand if the 500 Euro price the seller asks for is too much. With limited budget I need to check first.

After British, I think, I take German awards, and I hope you can give me some hints then, Odulf. Some of those German bars are impressive.

Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Decoration, can you confirm the date letter (the final date letter on the lower reverse. Once I have got the date year should be able to find him as the award would have been gazetted. Very nice group with both W War service and with a GV type 2 Special Constabulary Long Service (can you give me the naming on that is they usually give the Christian name(s) and will make it much easier to trace his service details.

All the best,

Paul

7 hours ago, paul wood said:

can you confirm the date letter (the final date letter on the lower reverse.

Paul

To my eye, it looks like a lower case gothic or Black Letter 'n', which would make it 1928, with the maker being Garrards, of course.

2016-11-07_17-14-14.jpg

Source: http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/London/Cycle 1896-1915.html

Edited by Trooper_D
    Added a better image

Wow! Thank you very much! A lot of info to work with. Nice online source too! I still need to learn about online resource for British medal research. I understand there a many these day, bit I need to learn them...

There was a Lieutenant John Bray RNVR Sussex Division who received a trio in WWI (Sub. Lieut. 27/2/15 & Lieut. 8/2/17). Do you know if the name matches with the Special Constabulary medal?

I've just found a Land Agent's Surveyor (Comm. Retired RNVR) named John Bray, born 1888 and living in Hastings, Sussex in 1939. More than likely the same man as above so the naming on the SC medal should give confirmation.

Edited by Tony
    Found something else

• 2 weeks later...
    On 11/16/2016 at 14:01, Kvart said:

I don't know so much about the value, but I think I know where you found them for sale. And they have been for sale at that place for a pretty long time.

Right, I am not intended to pay the asking price. :)