News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French military cap? 1820s to Crimea period?

Mark McM

It certainly looks as if it could be a French 'bonnet de police', first worn by Napoleon's troops and made from old coat sleeves apprently.  The style was adopted by many armies and, as it was a 'camp hat' often not marked with any insignia.  The French continued to wear variations right up until WWI but this one looks to my fairly untutored eye to be Napoleonic or post-Nap. in style.  

Very unfortunately, the amount of stuff produced for various Napleonic anniversaries over the last 200 years make it virtually impossible to accurately separate the original 200 year old originals from the pre-WWI [100 year old] examples, which are often hand sewn and use period appropriate materials.

So, I'd believe French and 1820's era unless there are warning signs to the contrary but I'm not sure how one would prove it, sans markings or clear provenance.  Very nice find either way.