Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Greaves

Egyptian Khedive commemorative medal question

Gentlemen,  I am a new member and recently had a terrific interaction with contributors to this website helping me identify a medal belonging to my wife's great-grandfather who was on the Mixed Courts in Egypt from 1911-1936. I posted that topic in the Africa seciton as that was the first place I found some information about Egyptian Khedive medals during my internet searches. I am posting this question about that medal here in hopes of getting some additional information. I apologize for the redundancy in this posting with that other string.  My wife's great grandfather, Pierre Crabites,  was appointed by president Taft to the Mixed Courts in Egypt between 1911-1936. He made a brief second visit to Egypt for the OAS in 1942 before dying in Baghdad in 1943. Judge Crabites was the presiding judge on the Mixed Courts for the case for sequestration rights to the Tomb of Tutankhamun in 1924. We have an image of him in his judicial robes wearing the Judicial Badge, although that badge is not with the family at this point. He was on very friendly terms with Kings Fuad I and Farouk and was a frequent visitor to the palace and its library. He found in favor of Egypt keeping the Tutankhamun artifacts in country and not allowing them to be taken to Britain. Judge Crabites was awarded the Order of Ismail (Grand Officer class) and another medal that contributors here (in the Africa section) have helped me identify as the Khedive Abbas Hilmi II coronation anniversary and return from Hegaz medal.  I found a couple images that are copyrighted by Hassan Kamel Kelisi-Morali through Flickr and then on Picssr (http://picssr.com/photos/kelisli/interesting/page42?nsid=7892156@N08 pages 42-43 (both images are identified as the reverse sides, although it is most likely the portrait side is the obverse). Since this is a commemorative medal and not a military service award, nor one of the other service to the state awards (i.e. Medals for Meritorious Service; Devotion to Duty; Benevolence; etc.), how would such medals likely have been obtained? Would this have been a gift from someone in the royal family whom Judge Crabites was friendly with, other officials, were they availalbe for purchase? I also would like confirmation, if someone here knows, that the Order of Ismail at the Grand Officer class was limited to 75 living individuals, is that correct?

IMG_1842B.jpg

Edited by Rusty Greaves
minor emphasis edit

Gentlemen & ladies, I have only small amount of additional information to update from my ongoing research about this medal. I originally posted this in the Africa section, and interaction with several researchers to that post helped me identify the medal: 

This is a commemorative "table" medal that  was probably made by Tewfick Bichay of Cairo, who also cast several honorary awards for the Egyptian Khedive and the Republic, as well as other badges (i.e., the Mixed Courts judges' badges I have written about on other posts). I do not yet know if this medal is gilt bronze which is likely given the other commemorative medals I can find from Abbas Hilmi's regin. My wife's great grandfather was likely given this medal from a member of the royal family, potentially because of his strong anti-British sentiments while serving on the Distritict Mixed Courts in Cairo. His award of the Order of Ismail, Grand Officer Class, would probably been given to him at the end of his term on the Mixed Courts (1936). Judges of the mixed courts were supposedly prohibited from receiving honors from the Egyptian government during their tenure on the courts (Brinton, Jasper Yeates, 1968: The Mixed Courts of Egypt, 2nd edition. Yale University Press, New Haven. Pp:53-54). So the award of the Order of Ismail was most likely given at his retirement in 1936. Unfortunately, the family has neither the case nor brevet for this award, although they do have the breast star (but not the sash) and the neck star with its ribbon in very good shape. All of the illustrations and information I have seen identify that the maker for the Order of Ismail was J. Lattes, a businesses in Cairo (and Geneva?) that was located near the European quarters in Cairo (likely French-trained or expatriates). Another individual is trying to cross-check some dates on the Arabic inscription on the bottom of the reverse face to confirm that this Abbas Hilmi II commemorative medal was probably struck in 1907. A minor correction about the coronation of Abbas Hilmi II relative to the information provided by Egyptian Zogist on 11/6/2016 (in the Africa string link above) is that his coronation would have been performed at Abdin Palace, not at the citadel. The citadel apparently had ceased to serve as the official residence of the rulers of Egypt during the reign of Abbas Hilmi's grandfather, Khedive Ismail the Magnificent. Other than being able to say that this medal is not common, I have not gotten any additional information on how rare this commemorative medal may be. It is certainly much less common than other Abbas Hilmi II commemorative medals that I can find on auction sites (especially the gilt bronze Abbas Hilmi International Import & Export Competition, Suez commemorative c1892; or the Abbas Hilmi gilt bronze Exposition internationald du Progres, Cairo 1985 commemorative medal-both of these appear with some frequency on on auction sites, i.e., the former is identified as "scarce" and sold for 2,200 GBP in extremely fine condition [lot 845] and the latter [lot 846] as "very rare" and sold for 2,100 GBP in mint state; or the Abbas Hilmi Dedication of the National Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, Cairo, 1897, silver, sold for 2,500 GBP [lot 847], identified as very rare in near extremely fine condition on Baldwin's archived Islamic Coin Auction 27 of 12/20/2010: https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=1655&category=34440; or the Abbas Hilmi 1er Congres de Medecine, 1902, Cairo silver commemorative, currently on sale for $1,250 on eBay, identified as "excellent" condition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/322450407022?vectorid=229466&item=322450407022&rmvSB=true). I have still found no additional images on the internet, nor any auction mentions of this Abbas Himi coronation medal, other than those I have previously identified and the link to a set of dies for this medal provided by Egyptian Zogist on 11/5/2016 (in the Africa string link above). At one point I encountered one additional thumbnail image from an archived eBay sale, but could not download the image, enlarge it, and it has not re-appeared during my subsequent searches. Some inquiries to auction houses have still not turned up any suggestions about this medal's scarcity. 

large.589270ae07c07_Petiemedal2.jpg.feb45349c041cd13bf791d19f437dbdb.jpg

Obverse of the Abbas Hilmi II medal commemorating his coronation and return from the Hegaz.

Thanks to information from Chris Weeks, I was able to download images of the Abbas Hilmi II commemorative medal from the Alexandria Library collections page. Since the only other image of the reverse that I could locate is copyrighted, this is the only image I feel I can share on this forum. The Library's images of the obverse and reverse of this medal are attached here. Is anyone willing to provide any information about whether the text (the same for both images) provides any additional information about this medal? 

(Info below from Chris Weeks May 15, 2016 in topic 'Kingdom of Egypt 1922-1953" by Egyptian Zogist,  October 30, 2015 in Middle East & Arab States):

"The most obvious medal-related page from the website is this photo gallery of Egyptian and foreign medals in the library's collection - possibly originally from the Montazah Palace and since taken into the state archives?"

http://modernegypt.bibalex.org/Collections/Medals/MedalsLucene.aspx

Thanks!

Rusty

large.599e0a41da9a7_AbasHilmiIImedalobverse.jpg.58d7f82034961377c301075bf1661183.jpglarge.599e0a4c8abb2_AbbasHilmiIIreverse.jpg.7175c71efb534a54d873fdbfb39ee162.jpg

Edited by Rusty Greaves

On 8/24/2017 at 01:16, Rusty Greaves said:

large.599e0a41da9a7_AbasHilmiIImedalobverse.jpg.58d7f82034961377c301075bf1661183.jpglarge.599e0a4c8abb2_AbbasHilmiIIreverse.jpg.7175c71efb534a54d873fdbfb39ee162.jpg

The text in Arabic to the left of each image just has information about the actual image. Here's what it says:

Details

Source: Library of Alexandria

Topics: Government Badges [could also be translated a bit more accurately as 'state insignia'

Key Words (General): Medal, Commemorative Medals, Commemorative Medal

Hope that helps!

Also the title of the image is "الاحتفال بعيد جلوس الخديوي و العودة من الأقطار الحجازية" "Celebration of the Anniversary of the Khedive's Enthronement and The Return from the Hejazi Territories", which would appear to be the event commemorated by the medal. 

Egyptian Zogist, 

Many thanks with your help on the translation. You have provided a great deal of help in my research on this Abbas Hilmi II commemorative medal since I first posted my inquiry, inadvertently in the Africa section! This does not provide new information about this medal commemorating his coronation and return from the Hegaz, however, it is useful to have the wording of the medal's title from the Library's catalogue. I wonder if the title you have translated replicates some parts of the legend on the reverse side of the medal. Unfortunately, the image of the reverse from the BA is of low resolution, probably making it more than difficult to read the legend on the medal. As the only better resolution image I have of the reverse is copyrighted (although I have been in correspondence with the individual who posted it on Flickr & Picssr: Hassan Kamel Kelisi-Morali http://picssr.com/photos/kelisli/interesting/page42?nsid=7892156@N08 pages 42-43) I have not replicated it here previously. That image is copyrighted by Catherine Bichay, the daughter of the jeweler Tewfik Bichay of Cairo, who may be the jeweler who cast this medal. I have attached only the legend portion of the reverse in the hope that is not a copyright violation. It should be possible to enlarge this view. 

large.59a0a24d22047_legendonreversofAbbasHilmiIIcommemorativemedal.jpg.25ada2c050b308c44c152aa062a14d19.jpg

Edited by Rusty Greaves
minor text clarification

I zoomed in on the original picture on Flickr, and the inscription appears to be the same as the title given for the medal on the Library of Alexandria's page, with the addition of four words I can't make out, though I think the second one might possibly be "بمناسبة" "On the Occasion of...". On the bottom is the date, from left to right

"يوم الثلاثاء" "Tuesday (literally 'the third day' [of the week, as per Arab reckoning])

the numeral 12 or 13, I can't really tell, though more likely 13

(EDIT: According to a calendar I found online, Tuesday, Muharram 1328 was the 13th, so the inscription does in fact say 13)

"محرم" "Muharram" (the first month of the year in the Islamic calendar, and the one following the month of "Dhu al-Hijjah" [last month of the previous year] during which the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca takes place, which would fit in with the Khedive travelling there)

The year 1328 AH (1910 AD), which means that Khedive would have participated in the Hajj pilgrimage 1327 AH (1909 AD). Beneath the numerals for the year is the 'shorthand' (I guess would be the most appropriate word) symbol for the word "سنة" "Year" .

Hope that helps!

Edited by Egyptian Zogist
Arabic typo

Egyptian Zogist, 

As always, your help is of tremendous value in documenting this piece of my wife's family history. I have also been in contact with the fellow who posted the Flickr images and concurs that the date is probably 1328 AH. His great grand uncle was Abbas Hilmi's Cabinet Chief, Ahmed Chafik Pasha, and apparently he mentions the year of the pilgrimage in his memoirs. He is checking the date but has not yet gotten back with me. I'm also going to check if he has a higher resolution version of those images, he is willing to share them with me. 

On November 5, 2016 (in the forum string I started in the Africa section) you included a link to dies for this medal with a translation of part of the inscription that is included with the  description of these dies: 

"I found the actual dies for this medal being sold, according to that site " Pair of indeterminate iron embossing dies with high relief . The front shows the ruler in an ornamental frame with landmark Egypt ( Sphinx and pyramids ). The reverse presents a view of a Mosque ( Mohammed Ali Mosque in Cairo ) within an ornamental frame , above Horus falcon , bottom two lines of Arabic script. The front bears the signature "S. G. un ". The back is called the year 1325 AH ( = 1907 AD ) in the inscription. Weight : 1.45 kg and 1.65 kg, Diameter : 78.26 mm and 78.80 mm . "

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ottoman-egypt-medal-die-abbas-hilmi-138509049 " - You also wrote on Nov 6 checking The Royal Ark, and at that time it also appeared the date might be 1325 AH.  1328 seems more correct. Again the fellow who posted the Flickr images, Hassan Kamel Kelisli-Morali,  initially read the date as 1348, but that makes no sense in relation to Abbas Hilmi's abdication and exile in 1914, but it appears the final 8 is probably correct. 

Always a pleasure to get your generous help with this. Many thanks!

Looking at images I took last year of this medal I have recently noticed an inscription on the obverse side of the medal I had not seen before, and for which I can get almost no information from the few descriptive sources I have found. This is an inscription visible on the lower left, just inside the the portrait margin, below the right shoulder of Abbas Hilmi II's portrait, above the scarab in the 8:00 o'clock position. I see this inscription in all of the few images I have seen of this medal, but only my photos of this medal in a glass rooted mount provide much detail. I will probably have to visit the family member's home and use magnification and take a photo to document this, but thought I would see if anyone has any suggestions about this inscription. It is not in Arabic. A short statement exists in the description of the steel dies that Egyptian Zogist brought to my attention in his post on November 5, 2016 in the first string I created about this medal in the Africa section before I realized there was a separate Middle East & Arab States section on GMIC (titled Help with Egyptian Khedive Medal) regarding a set of steel dies for this medal that were on sale on WorthPoint.com. It states that an inscription on the obverse is a signature reading "S.G. un". This does not appear to match what little I can make out in my current imagery, and I am unsure if that refers to the medal or margins of the die outside of mold for the medal. I'm including 2 views of this, the second with different lighting may show the second word as "1917", but that is not completely clear. I realize there is not much information on this medal, but wanted to fish here among the knowledgable contributors to GMIC and see if anyone may suggest additional information sources about this inscription or the medal in general. Many thanks! 

large.5a0b7f92e85ab_AbbasHillmiIIcommemortativemedalobversedetail.jpg.9fae737bbeffe752c195bd03353db0a3.jpg

detail of inscription on obverse of the Abbas Hilmi II medal commemorating his coronation ad return from Hegaz. The inscription is on the lower left of the medal, just left of the right shoulder in the portrait of Abbas Hilmi II.

large.5a0cdd453abcc_AbbasHillmiIIcommemortativemedalobversedetail2.jpg.e565a648d01be9429ea543d1408c8987.jpg

detail of inscription on obverse of the Abbas Hilmi II medal commemorating his coronation ad return from Hegaz. The inscription is on the lower left of the medal, just left of the right shoulder in the portrait of Abbas Hilmi II. This image is slightly different lighting than in the previous image. The second word in the inscription may be "1917"?

Edited by Rusty Greaves
minor text corrections