News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King Ferdinand I's decorations

10 hours ago, new world said:

It's possible, I am not an expert in such awards, I just repeated what dealer who has this award for sale said.

Any confusion is entirely understandable, New World, as the history of the Constantinian Order is a bit convoluted.

There are basically two 'flavours', Bourbon-Palma and Bourbon-Two Sicilies, which reflects a split arising from a Bourbon family dispute in the eighteenth century. Each flavour uses slightly different insignia.

The Bourbon-Two Sicilies version itself split in 1960 with two cousins contesting the Grand Mastership. However, this latter split has not resulted in any difference in insignia.

Questions about the legitimacy of the different branches of the Order has taxed lawyers and historians for generations so there is little hope us lesser mortals understanding the issue :)

Edited by Trooper_D

as do a lot of German monarchs which leads me to believe that it may be the insignia of the german protestant branch of the order of st john. For example Prince Leopold IV of Lippe 

Leopold_IV_F%C3%BCrst_zur_Lippe.jpg

"All members of the Order may also wear a plain, Maltese cross as a star or 'breast badge'. Most such stars are of plain linen, though enamelled stars in either silver or silver gilt, of about 5.5cm in diameter, also are worn in formal evening attire"

Edited by roberttheknight

• 1 year later...
    • 2 years later...

Here is the rarest of all, no other gold award of this type is known to exist!

Its listed as #086 of this fine booklet that Is displayed by Igor in the previous post. Sorry for the cut pictures.

2048EA26-3FC7-4A0C-B5F5-4F8CD4B96333.jpeg

8AEC2FAC-462A-4350-8EE1-40FBC060377E.jpeg

About King Ferdinand of Bulgaria he was personally Roman Catholic , of the House Coburg Kohary a Catholic branch of the House Saxo Coburg Gotha , his mother was Princess Clementine of Orleans and his first wife and mother of his children was Princess Maria Luisa of Bourbon Parma , both women Catholics . Ferdinand caused a certain amount of irritation when he decided to re Baptize his son Boris  two years after his first baptize as Roman Catholic , this time into the Orthodoxy and asked Czar Nicholas II to be Godfather, He was not King yet but Prince of Bulgaria , Bulgarians were mostly Orthodox as the Russians and existed strong feelings pro Russia. the other son Prince Kyrill was baptized Roman Catholic.  King Ferdinand I of Romania was Roman Catholic, his wife Marie of Saxo Coburg Gotha , anglican and the future King Carol II was baptized Orthodox 

Hi Lubo ,

Is this pair contributed to King Ferdinand? They did not appear in the SOTHEBY"S Auction Igor is shoiwng pictures from a SPINKS Auction site

Hi Bayern, Thank you for the information

Here are pictures from the SOTHEBY"S Auction on 7 July 1998 in London

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by Graf

Hi Peter, you’re talking about a completely different event, 9 years later!

The one Igor is showing is from the first auction with Ferdi’s belongings from 1989 in Germany and the medal bar I’m showing sits as I already said as # 86!

Regards

Edited by Lubo

Hi Lubo,

Ifgor showed the book from the German Auction in in a post in 2019

His last post from November 2021 was from Spink Auction

You stated

Its listed as #086 of this fine booklet that Is displayed by Igor in the previous post. Sorry for the cut pictures.

A bit a confusion ..needed some clarification

I added pictures from SOTHEBY"S related to the posts.

Did they organise the Auction with collaboration with Spink in 1998?

Cheers

Graf

Hi Peter, maybe I caused confusion! To make it clear, the medal spange  I’m showing is from this catalog from 1989 in Germany

887CB123-2823-49AB-B4C2-3945D19BC9B4.jpeg

I have no knowledge if the 1998 auction  by SOTHEBY’s was organized in collaboration with SPINK! I would seem a plausible YES, but I don’t know for sure!
    If SPINK is not listed anywhere in the catalog from 1998 as a collaborator, then I’ve no idea where you can get this info from!

On 28/11/2021 at 20:45, Lubo said:

Lubo, at least one other Gold medal exists, I have had it my hands a few times, but I don't know where it is now. It came from the estate of Prince George of Denmark to a Danish collector, then to the shop "Guldstuen" and from there to the collection of a now deceased former President of OMSA who had an special interest in these countries.

Hi Lubo,

Thanks

The pair of medals DID appear in the German booklet in 1889, but  it DID NOT look to be sold in the SOTHEBY"C Auction. in 1998

I just noticed on Igor post of Spink Sale, an interesting fact. The Spink stated in the Provenance Section that those items had been sold by SOTHEBY"S Auction on 7 of July 1998.  That mean that the Spink Auction took place in a later year.

Silly of me I did not notice that fact  earlier. Now i have to dig in the past or perhaps the current SPINK Auctions to find the year Igor can help me to avoid this search if he knows the year of Spink Sale.

Edited by Graf

Hi Peter, I’m sorry but you are wrong, this same spange was listed as #86 in the same German catalog from 1989, please check your facts because mine are rock solid ;) 

It’s simple, just open the catalog and go to the upper mentioned N

Regards

Hi LUbo,

Sorry,  typing mistake You are correct

Read "  The pair of medals DID appear in the German booklet in 1889, but it it DID NOT look to be sold in the SOTHEBY"S  Auctionin 1998"

Cheers

Just edited the text to correct the typing mistake

Cheers

On 28/11/2021 at 21:45, Lubo said:

Hi Lubomir, 

Do you have this catalog ? 
    In my booklet lost one page , with lots number 200-205. 
    Can you make me photos of this page please ! 
    Thank You ! 

• 4 weeks later...
    • 11 months later...
    • 7 months later...
    On 11/12/2022 at 10:51, GlennC said:

I have in my collection Order of military merit that belonged to the king Ferdinand I. This order was sold at Sotheby's auction in 1997 Lot #290

P1050713.JPG

P1050714.JPG

P1050715.JPG

P1050718.JPG

Amazing Order