Gentleman's Military Interest Club
ilieff

King Ferdinand I's decorations

10 hours ago, new world said:

It's possible, I am not an expert in such awards, I just repeated what dealer who has this award for sale said.

Any confusion is entirely understandable, New World, as the history of the Constantinian Order is a bit convoluted.

There are basically two 'flavours', Bourbon-Palma and Bourbon-Two Sicilies, which reflects a split arising from a Bourbon family dispute in the eighteenth century. Each flavour uses slightly different insignia.

The Bourbon-Two Sicilies version itself split in 1960 with two cousins contesting the Grand Mastership. However, this latter split has not resulted in any difference in insignia.

Questions about the legitimacy of the different branches of the Order has taxed lawyers and historians for generations so there is little hope us lesser mortals understanding the issue :)

Edited by Trooper_D

On 11/19/2017 at 08:33, ilieff said:

The Maltese cross on the below picture (circled). It's the same as shown on the uniform from post 27 in this thread.

3087.jpg

King Carol of Romania is wearing similar Maltese cross

michael-Carol.jpg

as do a lot of German monarchs which leads me to believe that it may be the insignia of the german protestant branch of the order of st john. For example Prince Leopold IV of Lippe 

Leopold_IV_F%C3%BCrst_zur_Lippe.jpg

"All members of the Order may also wear a plain, Maltese cross as a star or 'breast badge'. Most such stars are of plain linen, though enamelled stars in either silver or silver gilt, of about 5.5cm in diameter, also are worn in formal evening attire"

Edited by roberttheknight