News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King Ferdinand I's decorations

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, ive been reading this thread with interest, he was certainly flamboyant! 

This image has been posted before and ive been studying it closely, think ive found a question, regarding his golden fleece, based on my assessment of the image, he appears to be wearing only the bottom part of the decoration suspended from what i can see as heing black string!, secondly, the fleece itself has the appearance (to me) as a bejewelled version, not the typical type he was awarded, does anyobe know if he had a jewelled example? 

Regards

ferd.JPG

fleece copy.JPG

Edit, i think ive answered my own question 😄

IMG_20230824_104738.jpg

Edited by Alex K

On 24/08/2023 at 16:10, Alex K said:

Hi all, ive been reading this thread with interest, he was certainly flamboyant! 

This image has been posted before and ive been studying it closely, think ive found a question, regarding his golden fleece, based on my assessment of the image, he appears to be wearing only the bottom part of the decoration suspended from what i can see as heing black string!, secondly, the fleece itself has the appearance (to me) as a bejewelled version, not the typical type he was awarded, does anyobe know if he had a jewelled example? 

Regards

ferd.JPG

fleece copy.JPG

Edit, i think ive answered my own question 😄

IMG_20230824_104738.jpg

Very nice observation and research work Thanks

Prince/King Ferdinand liked all those luxury decorations he was giving them to other Royals and he was getting many in return It is good to be a King

15 hours ago, Graf said:

Very nice observation and research work Thanks

Prince/King Ferdinand liked all those luxury decorations he was giving them to other Royals and he was getting many in return It is good to be a King

Yes, 

Yes it would seem so

Edited by Alex K

He came from one of the richest families in Europe.

Very extravagant and liked to enjoy life After he became the Prince of Bulgaria His family spend fortune to turn Sofia into a "modern' European city During his time many luxury Orders and Decorations were awarded He got many in return.

His son King Boris was much more modest

Sadly many of his Decorations have been sold by his Grand son the current  King Simeon through some Auction Houses

I would have to agree with Alex about the cord and the jewelled order. 

I think I have seen other photos where King Ferdinand I wears an order, suspended from a generic thin metal chain or cord. It was probably due to ease of wearing (due to the weight of the official metal chain) but the above is clearly a studio portrait and I don't see a reason for the cord to be used.  

2 hours ago, ilieff said:

I would have to agree with Alex about the cord and the jewelled order. 

I think I have seen other photos where King Ferdinand I wears an order, suspended from a generic thin metal chain or cord. It was probably due to ease of wearing (due to the weight of the official metal chain) but the above is clearly a studio portrait and I don't see a reason for the cord to be used.  

Nice observation Yes we will wonder about those unusual way of wearing the Decorations. We only can speculate

It could be de the jewel par sent for a repair or snapped from the Order Only the King would have known