Gentleman's Military Interest Club
TS Allen

Unidentified WWI-era Major-General's coat

Hello GMIC,

I recently acquired a lovely WWI-era Major-General's lightweight summer or tropical tunic. Photos are enclosed. I'm hoping to identify its original owner.

The thing that's given me trouble is the ribbon bar, which would be the key to identifying who this belonged to. So far, this is what I've figured out:

Ribbon 1: Either Victoria Cross or Order of the Bath.

Ribbon 2: Order of St. Michael and St. George?

Ribbon 3: Queen's South Africa Medal

Ribbon 4: 1914-1915 Star

Ribbon 5: Unknown. Looks like the Order of the Crown of Italy?

It's curious that there is no British War Medal or Victory Medal here. This suggests to me that the tunic was last in wear in between the introduction of the 1914-1915 Star in December of 1918 and the introduction of the War Medal in July of 1919, a relatively short period, although please let me know if I'm wrong to think that. I was not able to find the Army List for the first quarter of 1919 online anywhere, unfortunately, but if anyone knows where to find a version that is searchable by text (rather than by name) please advise. Although the combination of VC/GCB/KCB/CB, GCMG/DCMG/CMG and his campaign medals is probably not terribly unique, I am hopeful I will be able to identify him thanks to the unusual (foreign?) decoration at the end of his bar.

Can anyone assist me in figuring out what the ribbons are exactly and who wore them?

Thanks so much,

T.S.A.

GO1.jpg

go2.jpg

go3.jpg

go4.jpg

go5.jpg

go6.jpg

The VC ribbon is normally worn with a miniature of the cross sewn to it; hence, this is probably the Bath.

Best,

Hugh

Hugh,

Thanks for the information. I think I have all the puzzle pieces now. I've given some thought to the final ribbon and decided it is almost certainly the Order of the Crown of Italy. Sir Ernest Shackleton's ribbons, which were mounted around the same time, have a ribbon that looks about the same from that decoration (ref http://www.christies.com/features/From-the-Land-of-the-Mist-and-Snow-Sir-Ernest-Shackletons-medals-6483-1.aspx). Now time to slowly work through the Army List for the second quarter of 1919 (http://deriv.nls.uk/dcn23/8809/88091116.23.pdf) and see who fits the puzzle!

More soon, I hope!

Best,

T.S.