News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Standard WW1 Pair with very nice souvenir!

I do like it when a simple fairly common lot is lifted by an unusual item, a diary a splendid photograph, a personal possesion or in this case a souvenir pick up in France which leaves a lot of unanswered questions!

BWM/Victory/Defence medal awarded to Percy John Hallett Sgt. MGC on the pair later served in the Devons.

John was born @1895 Seavington St Mary, near Chard in Somerset the 1911 Census finds him aged 16 working as a Farm Labourer at Whitelackington, Ilminster, Somerset. I have not been able to trace his service papers but the WW1 pick up makes a simple group by an unusual addition of a nice quality Turkish Harp Madalyasi.

The lot came with a small contemporary handwritten note saying "Taken in exchange for cigarettes from a officer POW".

The Harp Madalyasi is certainly Officer quality Silver plated and enamel, other ranks tend to be painted so it supports the "taken from an officer" claim it is also a nice BB&Co maker marked which I is Binder Brueder & Companie out of Luedenscheid.

I am only guessing of course but I wonder if this was taken off a German Officer POW in France who had served in the Balkans?

If only they could talk

15135933_10154584108261708_6740281717697

A very intriguing find!   The mystery alone makes these four medals well worth whatever you paid for them!   I know nothing of the commercial value of Turkish medals, but I guess that this one is now worth a lot more than the price of a few cigarettes.

Regards

Brett