News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Holiday Greetings Everyone

Many years ago I purchased this WWI RNAS hat badge while in Essex. It came from a private seller. When I purchased the badge I was told that it was a tailor made variation of the badge.

Well, I have recently sold the item, but now am being told by the buyer that it is a fake. It may well be, but does anyone have knowledge of variations of this badge? I’m sorry, I do not have the badge at present, but photos are here as they are too large to post in this forum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100474669@N06/albums/72157677907891016

Thanks

Robert

A fake is meant to deceive someone in terms of value, age, or historical significance. Your badge is a skillfully made, probably private-purchase, device meant to adorn an officers hat. Whether it, or a companion piece, was ever worn on duty is anybody's guess. But, it is not a fake. Beautiful badge. My two cents worth. 

It is always difficult selling authentic historical items as there are numerous people out there willing to proclaim everything a fake.

I have a friend who is a dealer and has an unreal collection of uniforms belonging to famous Nazis. He even has one of Karl Dönitz’s last uniforms, not to mention a storeroom of lesser known German Officer’s uniforms. He tells me that he is starting to have trouble selling them , because self-proclaimed “experts” often  say the items couldn’t be real because of the rarity. Go figure.

Anyway, I want to thank both Jerry and Mike for helping me feel good about this item being authentic.

Happy Holiday Season

Robert

Edited by Robert Muse
    error

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jerry,

Interesting points to be sure, but most are in error.  If it were made up, it was done so over 50 years ago.  A couple of other experts have kicked it around in the US and are now certain it is real.  The "irregular tarnishing" is as authentic as it gets.  The shiny part was caused ( to my dismay) by the first buyer who returned.

Anyway, thanks everyone for their input and have a Happy New Year!

Robert