News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well two of my big birds have turned out to be post war fakes let's see if I can make it a hat trick.

The hook is missing and has been obviously repaired at some time and possible replacement pin.

See attached

I am of course hoping otherwise

regards

Stephen 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Yorkstone

Sorry, Stephen...even though I took a double take when seeing the front of this badge... I would give this one the "thumbs down".

It looks to be a casting of a glider pilot's badge by the maker Brüder Schneider - Wien (BSW).  Even if the reverse hardware was replaced, at some point, the characteristics (bubbling of the zinc during production/retention of detail/type of rivet etc) of the maker's zinc badges are just not there in my opinion.

For comparison: an early example by BSW.

BSW Glider Badge.jpg

JTW

Now i had expected the thumbs up on this badge, it appears to be correct by the many book description's 

I see no signs of it being cast what so ever.

The silver wash also apears correct the repair to the hook appears contempery also.

but admit I had my doubts on the pin being replaced not the hinge.

This Glider badge came from a veterans bring back stash, and was given to me the vet came back from Germany 1946 and served with Military Police from D-day +12  took surrender of prisoners at Arnhem and Rhine crossing. I have numerous items from him mostly Army.

regards

Stephen

Edited by Yorkstone

Hi, Stephen

What I'll do is, I'll send your pictures to a very good friend who is considered an expert in the field of glider pilot's and all that is connected to the subject for an opinion.

it may take a little time due to the time of year... but we'll get there.

bear with me

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JTW

images of items brought back by Jack as you can see a mixed bag

The Gorget is a particular favourite of mine, the plaques are interesting souvenirs obviously produced to take back Kuban  Shield is in great condition.

i have his Helmet given to me when I was about 5 years old well played with,along with the German  police cap badge and cockade they were original mint but have sufferd a young collectors hand (mine)

i have his records cap and CMP shoulder titlts 30 corp flash and his Records l

plus many photos some showing him Searchng German Soldiers at Arnhem (dared) the ID card is to his Wife I have numerous other British items from same source WW 1 and WW2

hope you all enjoy the photographs

regards

Stephen 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Yorkstone