News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honorary Medal of Combat

We have individual threads for most of the awards but not, it seems, tor the two most common, the Honorary Medal of Compat and the Honorary Medal of Labor. Why not start them?

This is prompted, in part, by Gerd's posting of a NIB variety over at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5914&st=72 and you may wish to glance there as well.

What Jan and I show, subject to revision and correction, is:

A 37.1/M 20 - Type 1.1 (screwback, number prefaced by ?No?); Low = 316/High = 1763; 1941-??

A 37.1/M 20 - Type 1.2 (screwback); Low = 1795/High = 9263; 1951-60

A 37.1/M 20 - Type 2.1 (pinback, silver, hand-engraved); Low = ??/High = 3151; 19??-??

A 37.3/M 20 - Type 2.2 (pinback, silver, rotating-tool-engraved); Low = 10020/High = 16999; 1982-??

A 37.3/M 20 - Type 2.3 (pinback, silver-plated bronze, enameled ribbon); Low = 18071/High = 23354; 1985-??

A 37.4/M 20 - Type 2.4 (pinback, silver plated bronze, enameled ribbon, unnumbered)

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ed.

I guess I'm only missing one, A 37.1/M 20 - Type 2.1 (pinback, silver, hand-engraved).

I'll post pics later so we can confirm.

Is it ok to post them here or should I post them on another thread? Not sure if there is one already open for these Medals, will have to check.

Dolf

I couldn'd find another thread, oddly enough, so post here please. I shall get my babies all in hand over the weekend and post what I can as well.

I'm not sure this Type 2.1 makes logical sense, but I retain it here subject to clarification.

Have fixed early-morning typing errors in the initial post.

Here is what I'd call A 37.0 (Dr. Battushig doesn't have a pic of one of these with the N? before the S/N), or according to Jan's and Ed's Types & Variations this one should be a T1V1 (but not exactly a A 37.1, as that one doesn't have the N? before the S/N).

Obverse:

Dolf

So I guess I'm missing two (so far, as long as another sub-sub-sub-varaitions isn't observed :rolleyes: ) in order to have a complete set of all Types and Variations, one real A 37.4, with that funny reverse, and one T2V1... :blush::(

Dolf

I'm never certain how far to go down the road of sub-varieties and sub-sub-varieties. It can all get pretty arcane. And, until we know more from the archives on the actual manufacturing history and manufacturing sources, it will be hard to anchor what we see (or think we see) back into historical reality.

It could get complex if/as we decide to chase lower order varieties for these two medals, but it could get far (far!) worse should we ever decide to confront the motherhood awards??

What fun.

:beer:

Dolf, our medals come from the same batch, 24 numbers difference, obviously the same engraver:

Gerd,

Yes, I noticed earlier when you posted it that the S/Ns were close but then didn't double check.

Right, probably the same hands worked on both :beer:

Dolf

Dolf, i have noticed some differences though. Look for example at the areas, i have marked. Mine has less wear but there are bigger differences than what could have been caused by wear.

Here is a comparison:

Hi Gerd,

Yes, I see! Funny!

Btw, yours is the one on the right, mine on the left, right?

Yours has less wear? :unsure: I'd say the contrary :D

It seems mine still has a larger percentage of the silver plate remaining, no?... ;) Watch the horse and the soldier, on yours the silver plate is almost all gone it seems. And also those areas you marked.

Hey, both are still very nice Medals :beer:

Just my eyes opinion :ninja:

Dolf

It seemed to me, that the Horse and Soldier on yours has a little more wear, whereas other areas on mine have more wear than yours. Allways difficult to say from pictures.

Yes, yours is on the left and mine is on the right.

No, Dolf, i disagree, yours is in so bad condition, you should throw it in the trash can... but in my trash can :cheeky:

Gerd

No, Dolf, i disagree, yours is in so bad condition, you should throw it in the trash can... but in my trash can :cheeky:

Gerd

Gerd,

Ok, check your trash can tomorrow :cheeky:

Btw, I forgot to post this other one I also have, but I forgot about it because it's not on the main Display but on a smaller Docs display.

Another T1V1, with N? before the S/N.

Obverse:

Dolf

Nice :love: , these earlier ones seem to be much better in quality. Were the early ones soviet made?

Gerd,

Not sure where they were made :unsure:

Anyway, on that Ed & Jan list of Types & Variations posted on this same thread it seems that from T1V1 to T2V2 they were made of silver.

Those two we were comparing before (T2V3; as well as T2V4) seem to be made of brass and then silver plated.

Dolf

We have individual threads for most of the awards but not, it seems, tor the two most common, the Honorary Medal of Compat and the Honorary Medal of Labor. Why not start them?

This is prompted, in part, by Gerd's posting of a NIB variety over at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5914&st=72 and you may wish to glance there as well.

What Jan and I show, subject to revision and correction, is:

A 37.1/M 20 - Type 1.1 (screwback, number prefaced by ?No?); Low = 316/High = 1763; 1941-??

A 37.1/M 20 - Type 1.2 (screwback); Low = 1795/High = 9263; 1951-60

A 37.1/M 20 - Type 2.1 (pinback, silver, hand-engraved); Low = ??/High = 3151; 19??-??

A 37.3/M 20 - Type 2.2 (pinback, silver, rotating-tool-engraved); Low = 10020/High = 16999; 1982-??

A 37.3/M 20 - Type 2.3 (pinback, silver-plated bronze, enameled ribbon); Low = 18071/High = 23354; 1985-??

A 37.4/M 20 - Type 2.4 (pinback, silver plated bronze, enameled ribbon, unnumbered)

This just goes to show, how hard early mistakes persist. In one of my earliest list, that I sent out to other collectors at that time, I mention there exists a "A 37.1/M 20 - Type 2.1 (pinback, silver, hand-engraved); Low = ??/High = 3151" (I have a pic of it somewhere), I have never seen a second one since, and I am convinced now, 3 years later, that it is a repaired T1.2. I have been repeating this again and again :angry: to all involved, please change this in your listings, this one does NOT officially exist :shame: So please forget about this one. I am sorry, it was I who started all this but I would love to put an end to this aswell :blush: NOW

Edited by vatjan

• 1 month later...