News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mother of all Medal Bars

Hi dear forumites,

Although it's a great group with a fantastic bar (did you notice the HHOX in Gold?), researched with a great story of the officer, it was way to expensive. But perhaps these are the prices such bars will fetch soon! You better buy these groups before they will be too expensive :P

A couple of years ago in Stuttgart, I saw a very interesting group of a Prussian General being sold for about same price...

Here the picture...

Ciao,

Claudio

Way over mine (my wife's :blush: ) budget. But here is a question from a newbie in regards to order of presidence. Why is the RAO 4th so far back on the bar; because it is a civilian award (no swords)? I thought the RAO was a fairly important award to be given, regardless of class. Thanks in advance for the education.

chris

Guest Rick Research

That's the Third Reich precedence for ALL peacetime Imperial awards.

The rules kept changing over time.

Very often the old wearers--especially if civilians able to assert themselves-- flouted regulations that they considered unfair or unjust.

As it is, notice that even with the WW2 award of the KVK2X he got as a retread... he chose to continue wearing his old Imperial XXV Years Service Cross rather than take the regulation "update" to wearing the Current Wehrmacht Equivalent(s) while...

currently in the Wehrmacht!

Probably 90% at least DID update (gave them TWO awards in place of one and several devices instead of a plain ribbon, oooooo) so what THIS suggests to me is:

"I am an officer and a gentleman of the Old School. Yes, I am serving my country in wartime again, but I am NOT one of ... Those People." Fashion politics. :rolleyes::ninja:

Simple... because the RAO 4. Kl. was a peace time given awards, very likely given Linnarz before 1914. The other orders are with swords, awarded for bravery, hence have precedence and all come before the Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer.

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Darrell

You guys are not paying attention...... that price was a steal. The recipient of these awards was the very first man to drop bombs on London England.............

I never even noticed that until you mentioned it Rick. Here is Detlev's description for the grouping:

*******************************************************************************

12-piece medal bar Commander of Zeppelin "LZ-38" + orders + photo [3258] P Sold I- Eur 14,000 $ 16,800 ? 9,660

Hauptmann Erich Linnanrz, CO "LZ-38" : - Large portrait photo with medals as Luftwaffe Major ,32x40 cm - IC 1st class 1914 - Observer badge,hollow, top quality - Ribbon bars and button holes devises - 12-piece large medal bar: IC 2nd class 1914 / WMC 2nd cl.w.sw./ Houseorder of Hohenzollern. KC with swords, GOLD / Bavarian Military merit order 4th class withs words / Baden. Z?hringer Lion.- Knightscross with swords and oakleaves/ Saxonia-Weimar. Order of White Falkon, Knightscross 2nd class with swords/ Saxonia-Meiningen. War Merit Cross/ Lippe-Detmold. War merit cross/ Hamburg hanseatic cross/ Hindenburg cross/ Prussian Red eagle order 4th class/ Prussian LS cross 25 years. Historical importance: Hauptmann Linnarz as CO of "LZ-38" became famous by dropping the first bombs on the UK capital London on 31.5.1916 !!!. This is definitly the most important imperial medal bar I had of a aviation officer ! Easy to research on the internet.

*******************************************************************************

Edited by Darrell

No, Stogie, it didn't escape me that Linnarz airship (Zeppelin) was the first to bomb London (not England). Still to me the price was a bit to much. Niemann asked at least double the market price of such medal bar for this nevertheless very interesting story. Not bad. That is what I call maximizing the profit, like the auction houses in the last 10 years.

The more the collectors and history enthusiasts are ready and willing to pay, the more the prices will increase.... like a bit collecting VCs, PlM or RKs... now it's time for well researched groups or medal bars!

LZ38 was a German Army Zeppelin commanded by Haptmann Erich Linnarz and first appeared over Southend at 2.45am on 10th May 1915. Dropping incendiary bombs, it killed one person and injured two. On 26th May Southend was again bombed by LZ38, this time three people were killed and three more injured. During this raid, LZ38 was caught in search light beams and became the first enemy aircraft ever to be illuminated this way. On the night of 31st May, LZ38 was on its way to London when Flight Sub Lieutenant Robinson attempted to intercept it crossing the coast over Shoeburyness. This was the first time any enemy aircraft had attacked London, killing seven people and injuring thirty five. On 7th June, LZ38 was bombed in its shed, at 'Evere' near Brussels and burnt out. Linnarz and crew escaped, but only just!

http://www.eastlondonhistory.com/zeppelins.htm

Edited by Claudio

This group is certainyl outstanding. It surfaced in Berlin at a antik reseller. Unfortunately a silver cigar chest some more badges were not bought by this guy due to monetary restrains. These pieces were then unfortunatelly sold somewhere else. what a shame. Yet, we are all lucky, that this did not completely vanish.

This one has some true historical importance.