News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Intriguing question about Military Merit Crosses

cimbineus

Gents,

Some time ago I noticed that the wreath between the cross arms consists of two layers. Why? What is the rationale behind? It is obvious that this technique makes the production even more complicated and more costly. So, why then? Sometimes the two layers are soldered so perfectly that it is simply impossible to detect this interesting feature. I would appreciate any ideas or explanations.

Here are some examples.

koszoruk-2-1200.jpg

koszoruk-koz-koz-1.jpg

kosz-zom-760.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

cimbineus

Dear dond,

Thank you for this clue. It is interesting, however, I think it may not be the reason for this seemingly overcomplicated production. My arguments:

- The basic part of the wreath and the cross-arms made from one piece. This suggests that they originally also meant to be "war" decorations, since the "peace" crosses have no wreath at all in between the cross-arms.

- The number of these double-layered pieces represents the majority in my collection, if not all of "war" Merit Crosses, which suggests me that the reason for this must be somewhere else.

One more observation. Some of these additional layers are gold plated, some not, but some even enamelled, just to complicate the picture even more.

Here is one more picture, where we can clearly see the added upper layers on the wreaths.

koszoruk-koz-koz-1 jel.jpg

Regards,

cimbineus

Edited by cimbineus

• 2 weeks later...

....I would say its because befor the war was the KD (Upper Layer) made of gold, but the Cross alone from Silver, so the lower part was strucked together with cross and there upper (gold) part of wreath then added.... During the War were "old" dies used - with place for layer of gold :)

DSC_2759.jpg

Edited by Iver