News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dr Stephan Euler

Guest Rick Research

Quite "casual" for a pistol permit! Not at ALL like the "mugshots" we have here! :cheeky:

Post away, more please. I'm ready to add the one I can today! :beer:

This thread started out here, BTW:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=1...indpost&p=66803

where it was discovered that this split group's current and past owners are ALL on this Forum (some more than others)

Liberation war medal

Wiipuri (Viborg) and Tampere (Tammerfors). So he was first in the Tampere campaign (with Ausfeld?) and then down to Wiipuri (with whom?).

(I'll continue later with the other scans...)

Guest Rick Research

Ah, these are glorious! :love::love: We usually see the GERMAN versions of award documents, not the actual Finnish ones.

Here was our Doctor in the

[attachmentid=32588]

Listed as a practicing physician in Aeschach/Lindau:

[attachmentid=32589]

See why it pays--if not financially, in fellowship, to "pack rat" Weird Obscure Old Reference Sources? :rolleyes:

Dr. Euler's EK2 award document WILL get scanned on Sunday-- I'll post it that afternoon.

Well, well..

Ages ago I was the eBay underbidder on this one, but I did save the picture. It is yet another 1918 commemorative medal document for Dr. Euler. Since it doesn't seem to be yours either, looks like the group is at least in three parts? Unfortunately I can't remember to whom this went for.

En mycket trevlig grupp, Stefan! Gratulationer! :beer:

Pete

[attachmentid=32620]

Ages ago I was the eBay underbidder on this one, but I did save the picture. It is yet another 1918 commemorative medal document for Dr. Euler. Since it doesn't seem to be yours either, looks like the group is at least in three parts? Unfortunately I can't remember to whom this went for.

Interesting. My document are from 1919 but then he got a medal in 1922 according to the paper above. So perhaps he got two of them?

Was it ebay.com or ebay.de ? Do you remember if his name was in the text?

En mycket trevlig grupp, Stefan! Gratulationer! :beer:

Tackar :-)

I was the only bidder on this one (German ebay) and the pictures were really bad. When I got it in my hands I jumped for joy :-)

So there are some more parts of this group that needs to be found...

Thanks for all help & information that I got from you guys. I really appreciate it :beer:

Pete - will you take the Finland ferry to Stockholm tomorrow? There is the militaria fair in Solnahallen and I will have a table there.

Sk?l, Stefan

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: More pieces of a life uncovered--

although the Helsinki Medal document bears the date of its creation in 1938

it must actually have been given to him DURING the Second World War--

it refers to him as "Oberstabsarzt d.B."

That is, a Medical Corps MAJOR "des Beurlaubtenstandes"--

"d.B." was a generic "we haven't made up our minds" term rolling "der Reserve" and "der Landwehr" officers together pending a Post Victory sorting out of which category to place them in.

Interesting. My document are from 1919 but then he got a medal in 1922 according to the paper above. So perhaps he got two of them?

Was it ebay.com or ebay.de ? Do you remember if his name was in the text?

Unfortunately not. That picture above is the only concrete thing I got. Now, seeing that it actually was part of a bigger group, I feel sorry that I didn't take any better notes. :(

Pete - will you take the Finland ferry to Stockholm tomorrow? There is the militaria fair in Solnahallen and I will have a table there.

Sk?l, Stefan

Oh, I was in Stockholm during the last weekend, but now it seems I should have picked this one.. yet another missed opportunity. :banger:

-- Rick,

That probably is true, but given his apparently close relations with Finland (the two (!!) red cross medals), he might as well received his Helsinki-medal during the actual anniversary-celebrations. Some 30 former "Finnlandk?mpfer" had arrived from Germany, amongst them were general von der Goltz and admiral Meurer. Also 48 German veterans living in Finland were attending.

The matrikel-number in his document (3023) might help to date his medal accurately.

There are also other interesting things:

His german CoL3 document refers him as being part of 1. Radfahr-Kompanie / 2. J?ger-Bataillon, his first 1918 commemorative medal document as part of 11. Radfahr-Kompanie, and other as part of Bay. Feldlazarett (nr. 23 presumably).

Also, the clasps in his commeorative medal (Viipuri & Tampere) are odd, since none of the above mentioned units wasn't of course even near those cities during the war.

This is a very interesting group, and too bad it has been broken up. I guess there should be some red cross documents floating around too.

Pete

Guest Rick Research

And as promised, here is Euler's Iron Cross 2nd Class award document with citation, obtained by me as a lone piece of paper from our Jeff Floyd in 1991, and in my friend's collection since 1995. Scanned by me today with his permission:

[attachmentid=32887]

"for brave conduct and exhausting medical activity at the main casualty Clearing Station, Thilloy/Bapaume during the English offensive 2-22.7.16 and for battles in the Carpathian mountains in Sept. & Oct. 1916."

This is a very interesting group, and too bad it has been broken up. I guess there should be some red cross documents floating around too.

Pete

I remember when lot of these was on eBay... I heard about them few days afterwards...it was heavy and took long time to recover :(

... Even the evilbay may occassionnally give something good for you :)

Like what happened to me just few days ago :jumping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...DME:B:BCA:US:11

Jani