News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mecklenburg Schwerin House Order of Wendisch Crown - Confirming the award to british High ranking persons with German heritage

Dear All,

First of all, I ask you to have patience with me if I use incorrect words in my following request (this is due to my complete ignorance about the German Medal/Order world).

I would like to ask your help to confirm the award of a specific German Imperial Order awarded to various persons that, although of German heritage, were very close to /or part of British Royals of the XIX sec.

The Imperial German Order in exam is the: ‘Mecklenburg Schwerin House Order of Wendisch Crown’.

On the web, I have read that a complete list (i.e. Roll) of the persons to which it was awarded, has survived and I presume that these lists are available in one of those “Militar Handbuch”, “Offizier-Stammliste” and/or “Staatshandbuch” (I hope to have well written !!) where many of you (Experts) make your searches.

My Questions :

For each person below listed, I would like that you confirm me (after having checked the ‘Handbuch’ in your possession) that :

a)       he is a recipient of the ‘Mecklenburg Schwerin House Order of Wendisch Crown’;

b)       where possible, confirm the date of the award (that I have put in ‘blue’ at the end of each personage);

c)       If they received the Civil (with NO swords) and/or the Military (with Swords) version of this Order.

1)   Prince Arthur William Patrick Albert, Duke of CONNAUGHT and STRATHEARN (1850-1942), Field Marshal, should have received the Grand Cross with Gems of this Order on 27th July, 1879 (father of the person below);

2)   Prince, Arthur Frederick Patrick Albert of CONNAUGHT (1883-1938), should have received the Grand Cross of this Order on 15th May, 1911 (son of the above);

3)   H.R.H. Prince George William Frederick Charles, Duke of CAMBRIDGE (1819-1904), Field Marshal, should have received the Grand Cross with Gems of this Order on 13th August, 1865;

The following 2 persons are brothers (they were the sons of Franz Paul Karl Ludwig Alexander Herzog von Teck and of Mary Adelaide Wilhelmina Elizabeth Hanover, Princess of Cambridge):

4)  Brigadier General Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alfred George Cambridge (1874-1957)-Viscount Trematon in the county of Cambridge and Earl of ATHLONE - should have received the Grand Cross with Gems of this Order on 22nd July, 1904;

5)   Temporary Brig. Gen. Sir Adolphus Cambridge, 1st Marquess of Cambridge (1868–1927), (In 1917 his name was legally changed to Adolphus Charles Alexander Albert Edward George Philip Louis Ladislaus Cambridge by Royal Licence); born Prince Adolphus of Teck and later The Duke of Teck; he succeeded his father as Duke of Teck in the Kingdom of Württemberg. He relinquished his German titles in 1917 to become Marquess of Cambridge - should have received the Grand Cross with Gems of this Order on 12nd July, 1904;

6)   Last, there is another member of the Teck family by name also of Adolphus (of Teck) that, although I have no idea of who he is, should have received the Grand Cross with Gems of this Order on 19th July, 1902.

Hoping to receive your Very Precious Help and thanking you in advance

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

According to the rolls:

1. Grand cross with crown in ore on 27.09.1879 from Mecklenburg-Strelitz

2. nile

3. Grand cross with crown in ore on 13.08.1865 from Mecklenburg-Strelitz

4. not clear

5. Grand cross with crown in ore on 22.07.1904 from Mecklenburg-Strelitz

6. Grand cross with crown in ore on 19.07.1902 from Mecklenburg-Strelitz

The problem are the different names and titles. This is the reason for number 4.

Number 2 is for sure not noted in the original rolls.

Best regards

Seeheld

Hello seeheld,

First of all, Many, Many Thanks for your precious answer !

I have to ask you some further clarification :

1) when you write 'Grand cross with crown in ore', what do you exactly mean 'with crown in ore' ?

2) Are these awards (i.e. the 4 that you have confirmed above) without Swords (i.e. Civil Type) ?

3) Concerning the number 4 (Earl of ATHLONE) let me see if I can give you some more information to try to better clearing up the situation: one of the two families I’m studing is that of the ‘Teck’. I must start from one person that isn’t one of those about I questioned in the starting post. He is :

Francis Paul Charles Louis Alexander (was born Franz Paul Karl Ludwig Alexander), Duke of Teck (1837–1900)

He was a member of the German nobility: He was known as Count Francis von Hohenstein (Graf von Hohenstein); in 1863 Francis was created Prince (Fürst) of Teck; in 1871 Duke of Teck (Herzog von Teck) and in 1887 Prinz von Württemberg. In 1866 He moved to England where He married Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge (granddaughter of George III of Great Britain) becoming part of the British Royal Family. This couple had 3 sons and 1 daughter:

-       Prince Adolphus of Teck (1868–1927); later Duke of Teck and Marquess of Cambridge. (Number 5 of my list and the only ‘Adolphus’ in the ‘Teck’ family);

-   Prince Francis Joseph Leopold Frederick of Teck (1870–1910);

-      Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alfred George CAMBRIDGE, 1st Earl of Athlone (1874–1957) (Number 4 of my list);

-       Princess Victoria Mary of Teck (1867–1953) later Queen Mary, Queen-Consort of George V of the United Kingdom.

In conclusion, I ask you to search again your Roll (about Number 4 of my list) but with the following names :

-   Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alfred George CAMBRIDGE, 1st Earl of Athlone (1874–1957)

Many Thanks again

ATB

Lilo

PS

However, let me say that I was very surprised to read that you have positively confirmed the award to Adolphus of Teck (the number 6 of my list) that (on the contrary of Earl of Athlone) I wasn’t able in correctly identifying who He was…(according to the Teck family tree the only Adolphus is the number 5 of my list)

Could it be that as the award date of the Earl of Athlone (22nd July, 1904) and that of Adolphus of Teck (19th July, 1904) are very close and as one of the two persons (the Earl of Athlone) is a known personage on the contrary of the ‘Adolphus of Teck’ that is unknown(at least to me), that they are one and the same person and that the exact award date is that 19th July, 1904 ?

(It would be very interesting to know what it is reported on the roll for the award date of 22nd July, 1904 regarding the award of the Wendish Order to a British recipient by surname of ‘Teck’ and/or ‘Cambridge’).

I will have another look tomorrow.

All have been awarded with the civilian Class. 

Crown in Ore is the class for highest nobility only! For example Kings, Dukes, Prince ...

Crown in Gold is the class for common nobility or high ranking people. For example Fieldmarshalls, Generals, Minister, Ambassador

Regards Seeheld

Edited by seeheld

Hello seeheld,

GREAT : Many Thanks for your patience and help !!!!

At this point it should be interesting to know if also Francis Paul Charles Louis Alexander (was born Franz Paul Karl Ludwig Alexander), Duke of Teck (1837–1900) was awarded (and when) with the: Mecklenburg Schwerin House Order of Wendisch Crown ?

Last, I hope you don't mind if I post here my last question (just to conclude my re-search).....

Are you (or some other member) able to confirm the award of the : Grand Cross of the  Württemberg, Order of the Württemberg Crown,  to the 'Number 1 of my above list', i.e. the : - Prince Arthur William Patrick Albert, Duke of CONNAUGHT and STRATHEARN (1850-1942), Field Marshal  ?

Again Many Thanks

ATB

Lilo

P.S. If for this last question I should open a new post, just let me know (Members and/or Moderators)

Edited by lilo