News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, I am a new boy to you fantastic forum and can't believe i haven't found you before.

I had a relative who is said to have served in SAMR during the lead up to WW1, he left SA to return to the England , joined the RFC and was tragically killed in a flying accident.

I would very much like any information on his time in SA serving with the SAMR, are there any regimental roll' kept? Garry

Gary

Welcome to the GMIC!  South Africa is a closed book to me, I'm afraid and one of our oldest and most helpfull members is sadly no longer with us, but Audrey at Rhino Research [rhino.research@icon.co.za] would almost certainly be able to help and will certainly know whether or not rolls exist.

Perhaps some of our SA members can be of assitance in answering the genral question: do rolls exist for SAs in WWI service?

Peter

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎22 at 05:52, GarryP said:

Hi, I am a new boy to you fantastic forum and can't believe i haven't found you before.

I had a relative who is said to have served in SAMR during the lead up to WW1, he left SA to return to the England , joined the RFC and was tragically killed in a flying accident.

I would very much like any information on his time in SA serving with the SAMR, are there any regimental roll' kept? Garry

Welcome to the forum......

Can you please advise as to what his full name is?????

Mike

Hi Thanks very much for all your response, my relatives name was Merrick Orville Prismall, i am lead to believe that he took a gun shot to the leg during his time in Escourt Natal. If this helps 

Many thanks

Hi Garry

Sorry but I am unable to find him on any of the lists that I have.....  I even checked the casualty list to see if he is listed as being wounded and he is not there......  At least not under that name.....

Mike

Hi Thanks very much for all your response, my relatives name was Merrick Orville Prismall, i am lead to believe that he took a gun shot to the leg during his time in Escourt Natal. If this helps 

Many thanks

Hi Mike

Many thanks for looking, i will have to dig out his WW1 service card, i am sure it has service with SAMR on there, never mind i will keep  seaching. Thanks again!

Garry

The regiments of the South African Mounted Rifles were formed in 1913 from the paramilitary elements of the police forces in the four provinces of the Union of South Africa, which came into being in 1910.  They were part of the Union Defence Force. The 'conventional' policemen were accommodated in the newly-created South African Police, and were assigned to either mounted police or foot police duties.  There was also a section of Water Police.  The gaolers of the old police forces were assigned to the new SA Prisons Department.

Brett