News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link. very interesting. You might like to know that Joel Zemmel who wrote the book "Scapegoat" has a new centenary edition coming out soon. I sent him a photo of my GF to include in the book. He also said:

"One of the key figures in my book, Commander F. Evan Wyatt, the Chief Examining Officer of the port, was the only person sent to trial on charges of criminal negligence and manslaughter. A relative and close family friend of his British family contacted me from the UK and forwarded numerous photographs from the family album. Until then, I did not have a decent image of Wyatt as an adult or any of his family. Now, I have several. As well, after many years, I finally managed to track down Wyatt's elusive American family. They are also sending photographs. This all happened within a two or three week period.

Because the edition has already been printed, I am creating a one-page insert with nine new images that I will place in the back of the new edition. I am just waiting for the American photographs. So. I should have the page ready about mid- February."

Did you know that of the 6 Albert Medals awarded for gallantry during the Halifax Explosion - 4 are in the Canadian War Museum. 

The 5th, that of my Grandfather’s shipmate Robert Stones is at the Glenbow Museum, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My Grandfather’s Albert Medal is at the Submariners Museum in Gosport, UK.

I had the mad idea that for the 100 Year Anniversary of the Halifax Explosion - this December - it would be great to have all the Albert Medals together in one place. I did send an email to someone at the Canadian War Museum in January but I haven't had a reply yet. I thought it would be good way to remember the actions of the British Royal Navy during this dreadful event.

Thanks again for that interesting link.

Sam

Sam,

Not a mad idea at all.  Sadly I suspect that the CWM is more interested in the Centenary of Vimy. I wonder if the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic http://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/ in Halifax could get more traction?  Lots of information there:

http://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/search/node/halifax explosion  

I have a small collection of single medals to men who were on ships at or near Halifax that day.  Still missing HMS Highflyer and HMS Changuinola.  I have two to HMCS Niobe - an R.N.C.V.R. clerk and an R.N. Regulating Petty Officer.  I was able to find a photograph of the latter.  He's the one sitting on the right end of the bench.  Previous service in China in 1900.

niobenp.jpg

Edited by Michael Johnson

Hi Michael and Paul,

Thanks for the updates.

Michael that is a great photo. It must be exciting being able to put a face to the name and finding out more about their lives.

I shall contact the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic - thank you for that!

Did you hear about the photographs of Victor Magnus?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2841066/Unique-photographs-taken-WWI-sailor-biggest-manmade-explosion-history-two-warships-crashed-other.html

Apparently the Grandson Damian Saunders has control over the photos but is very difficult to contact. I know that Joel Zemmel author of "Scapegoat" has had no luck contacting him.

Attached are a couple of photos of my Grandfather.

All the best,

Sam

5.jpg

38.jpg

Sam, you must be very proud of your grandfather.  My paternal grandfather enlisted in the Canadian Army Service Corps in 1916, got pneumonia on a field day in Toronto, and according to family history, lost an eye when they were attempting to anaethetize him and ether got spilled on his face.  Medical discharge on pension with a Class C discharge pin. My maternal grandfather was French, and was recalled to duty from Canada in 1914.  He was attached to the British Army as an interpreter - until his company, then engaged in the war effort, realized that he was the only one who knew the processes.  After many letters and diplomatic notes the French Army let him go back to Canada.

Hi Michael,

Yes I am very proud to have had such an amazing GF. I only met him a few times as we lived overseas when I was young.

For my 10th Birthday he sent me a letter which said " Always ask questions, who, what, when, where, why and how." I have never forgotten that advice. I kept it in a tin wrapped around a large copper ship's nail that I found on a beach in Trinidad. It was a prized possession of mine ( I used to imagine it was from a Galleon!). Both were destroyed in a fire but I have never forgotten that letter or that nail - and I always ask questions!! Memories!!

I haven't emailed the Museum yet, instead I emailed The Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Special Advisory Committee. If anyone should be interested in my idea it should be them! I will give then 10 days then I will email the Museum.

Your poor GF what a thing to happen but with so many men losing their lives during the war maybe he was lucky in a weird kind of way.

All the best,

Sam

1 hour ago, Samantha Davis said:

Your poor GF what a thing to happen but with so many men losing their lives during the war maybe he was lucky in a weird kind of way.

All the best,

Sam

Sam, I suspect it was his pension that allowed him to send my father to university (granddad started work before he was 14).  Dad became a very successful corporate lawyer. I followed in his footsteps, but chose an alternative to practice.  This year my son graduates from law school, to make the third generation.  A long way from Bells Close Newcastle!

Michael

• 6 months later...
    On 15/02/2017 at 21:36, Samantha Davis said:

Hi Michael,

Yes I am very proud to have had such an amazing GF. I only met him a few times as we lived overseas when I was young.

For my 10th Birthday he sent me a letter which said " Always ask questions, who, what, when, where, why and how." I have never forgotten that advice. I kept it in a tin wrapped around a large copper ship's nail that I found on a beach in Trinidad. It was a prized possession of mine ( I used to imagine it was from a Galleon!). Both were destroyed in a fire but I have never forgotten that letter or that nail - and I always ask questions!! Memories!!

I haven't emailed the Museum yet, instead I emailed The Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Special Advisory Committee. If anyone should be interested in my idea it should be them! I will give then 10 days then I will email the Museum.

All the best,

Sam

Hi All,

i feel like I've just read a book with the last page missing!

An interesting story. More complete, nod to Gents, than ever but it suddenly stops!

any news please??

best wishes

tony

Edited by Farkas
    Typo