News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Composition of German Artillery at Vimy Ridge

shawnt63

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have been trying to find some fine detail on the composition of the German Artillery at Vimy Ridge (Vimy Gruppe), I know it consisted of the following elements:

9th and 69th Field Artillery Regiments

25th and 66th Reserve Field Artillery Regiments

63rd Field Artillery Regiment  (standard divisional artillery with 6 batteries of 7.7cm guns and 3 batteries of 10.4cm Howitzers)

1st Bavarian Reserve Field Artillery Regiment (standard divisional artillery with 6 batteries of 7.7cm guns and 3 batteries of 10.4cm Howitzers)

As well as the divisional trench mortars both with the Battalions and Divisional Engineer batteries.

What I am really looking for is the composition of the 9th, 69th, 25th and 66ths Regiments, but I have had no luck so far in my research. I know, for example, that there were a number of both 21cm Lang Morsers and 5.9" Howitzer batteries, but I can't find which regiments they were with or how many batteries of each.

Any help would be greatly appreciatated.

Shawn

Hello Shawn!

I don´t know, which artillery units were attached to each regiment, but I have a composition of the entire artillery of the battle of Arras. (Vimy was a part of that battle).

Interesting for you the first line (6th army, Gruppe Vimy)

20170214_171359.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Hello Shawn!

But you asked for the units...

Here is a list of all units, engaged in april at Arras, especially the heavy artillery.

You see the changing of divisions, but I don´t know, if any artillery had been changed too. Heavy artillery didn´t belong to the divisions, but to the army (6th army).

If you can´t read the german language, lt me know.

In this case important:
    Seit = Since

Bis = until

20170215_034506.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Thanks very much Andy, I don't speak German at all - trying to decipher what the regiment names are which isn't too too difficult. Just have to piece it all together. Appreciate your efforts on my behalf!

Shawn