Jump to content
Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Veljko

Interesting serbian bar from the period of Obrenovic dinasty

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2018 at 12:39, Veljko said:

Hi Paja,

thx a lot for great photo of General Franasovic, i agree with you, this photo is from the period after 1897, on position 7 i think that he is wearing commemorative medal of 40 yrs of St. Andrews assembly.But if its medal od 40 yrs of St Andrews assembly, i think that he would wear also Order of Milos the Great. I think that he was awarded with Order of Milos the Great 2nd class,  but i dont know when he was awarded.

Great finding,

best,

Veljko

You're welcome. If the photo was made between 1895 and 1897 when he was back in the military then it should be St. Andrew's Assembly Medal because it was instituted later. He was awarded with the Miloš on 11. April 1899. 
The medal in question seems to be round rather than octagonal and its diameter is obviously smaller than the Commemorative Medal of the 1876-78 Wars. Perhaps Silver Bravery Medal?
 

Edited by paja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, paja said:

You're welcome. If the photo was made between 1895 and 1897 when he was back in the military then it should be St. Andrew's Assembly Medal because it was instituted later. He was awarded with the Miloš on 11. April 1899. 
The medal in question seems to be round rather than octagonal and its diameter is obviously smaller than the Commemorative Medal of the 1876-78 Wars. Perhaps Silver Bravery Medal?
 

You are right Paja, its most logical arround 1897. I mentioned St Andrew's medal because the medal on the photo  looks me octagonal, not rounded. For silver bravery medal should be smaller, and regarding size it could be, obviosely its smaller than commemorative medal of Serbian Turkish wars 76-78. But still it looks me octagonal when i  larger the photo. In case that it is medal of St Andrew's assembly than the year of the photo was made could be only 1898

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Veljko said:

You are right Paja, its most logical arround 1897. I mentioned St Andrew's medal because the medal on the photo  looks me octagonal, not rounded. For silver bravery medal should be smaller, and regarding size it could be, obviosely its smaller than commemorative medal of Serbian Turkish wars 76-78. But still it looks me octagonal when i  larger the photo. In case that it is medal of St Andrew's assembly than the year of the photo was made could be only 1898

One more thing Paja, just now came to my mind. If its silver bravery medal than the ribbon has to be in the serbian flag colours, red, blue, white. The ribon of the medal no.7 doesnt looks like that. It looks me lighter , and since this is black and white photo most probably is light blue whith one thin stripe ie could be thin red stripe. If this is the case than it is St Andrew's assembly. what do you think about ribbon?

Edited by Veljko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to say based on these photos, but I think the medal in question is most probably the same one he wore on the 3rd place of his shorter bar. And the first photo of him posted in this topic was definitely made in 1896.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, paja said:

It's hard to say based on these photos, but I think the medal in question is most probably the same one he wore on the 3rd place of his shorter bar. And the first photo of him posted in this topic was definitely made in 1896.

Well on the first photo the medal is obviousely rounded and i also agree that its the same medal. That means that this one is not St Andrew's assembley. Than it must be silver bravery medal, since the diameter of the medal is smaller. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pls look at this photo, very interesting and similar bar from the same period. Pls take closer look on postions 2,3,4.  It looks me like on postion 2 is takovo cross V, and than most interesting thing is coming, two medals which are the same, I would say on positions 3 and 4 are two golden bravery medals 1877!!! I never saw smthg like this. Very similar bar  also with serbian and montenegrin medals.

33621CC3-B467-4640-833D-835671D0A724.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Veljko said:

One more thing Paja, just now came to my mind. If its silver bravery medal than the ribbon has to be in the serbian flag colours, red, blue, white. The ribon of the medal no.7 doesnt looks like that. It looks me lighter , and since this is black and white photo most probably is light blue whith one thin stripe ie could be thin red stripe. If this is the case than it is St Andrew's assembly. what do you think about ribbon?

I was in the middle of writing my previous reply when you posted this. I'm not sure about the ribbon, Silver Bravery Medal was just a guess.

29 minutes ago, Veljko said:

Pls look at this photo, very interesting and similar bar from the same period. Pls take closer look on postions 2,3,4.  It looks me like on postion 2 is takovo cross V, and than most interesting thing is coming, two medals which are the same, I would say on positions 3 and 4 are two golden bravery medals 1877!!! I never saw smthg like this. Very similar bar  also with serbian and montenegrin medals.

33621CC3-B467-4640-833D-835671D0A724.jpeg

Amazing medal bar! Many thanks for posting it!
Do you know who's on the photo and when it was made? The uniform is a bit of a puzzle to me, it that a general? 
I'm not sure based on the photo, but it would be very interesting if those are truly two Golden Bravery Medals, I never saw a double recipient before! Any idea about decorations 5, 6 & 7? Perhaps #6 Serbian Silver Bravery Medal and #7 Montenegrin Silver Bravery Medal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General Franasović was awarded Milosh the Great 2nd Class in 1899.

Regards,

 Dragomir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, paja said:

I was in the middle of writing my previous reply when you posted this. I'm not sure about the ribbon, Silver Bravery Medal was just a guess.

Amazing medal bar! Many thanks for posting it!
Do you know who's on the photo and when it was made? The uniform is a bit of a puzzle to me, it that a general? 
I'm not sure based on the photo, but it would be very interesting if those are truly two Golden Bravery Medals, I never saw a double recipient before! Any idea about decorations 5, 6 & 7? Perhaps #6 Serbian Silver Bravery Medal and #7 Montenegrin Silver Bravery Medal.

Officer on the photo is captain Mihajlo Radulovic. He started as volounteer in Hercegovina upraisal 1874-75. When Serbia entered into war he joined General Chernayeff troops. In Djunis battle he command with flying battalion (командант летећег батаљона), he act very bravely in battle and fiercly and heroically attacked Turks. For his heroism in wars1874-1878 with Turks, he received many Serbian and Montenegrin medals, especially ones for heroism.

I dont see well medals on the bar but i will try : 

Position 5 dont have idea

on position 6 is Montenegrin Obilic,

position 7 montenegrin silver heroism 

position 8 St Andrew assembly

position 9 military virtues

position 10 very nice and unusual- montenegrin commemorative medal 1875-78

position 11 serbian commemorative medal 1876-78

position 12 commemorative medal  serbian bulgarian war 85-8

3 hours ago, Dragomir said:

General Franasović was awarded Milosh the Great 2nd Class in 1899.

Regards,

 Dragomir

Thx Dragomir!

Edited by Veljko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most interesting, thanks for sharing! 
I wasn't sure about the uniform because of the collar. It seemed to me like it could be generals' but that would be a strange combination with mundir with two rows of buttons and decorations from the 1880s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more very interesting Obrenović era medal bar with Montenegrin decorations.
01.JPG.eb8fd4d8555effabb01c43d7e6768a9c.JPG
 

1) Miloš IV
2) Takovo with Swords IV
3) Legion of Honor V (France)
4) Franz Joseph V (Austria-Hungary)
5) St. Alexander V (Bulgaria)
6) Golden Bravery Medal
7) Silver Bravery Medal (Montenegro)
8) St. Andrew's Assembly Medal
9) Military Virtues Medal
10) Medal for Zealous Service in War
11) Royal Guards Commemorative Medal
12) Commemorative Medal of the 1876-78 Wars
13) Commemorative Medal of the 1875-78 War (Montenegro)
14)  Commemorative Medal of the 1885 War

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.3.2018. at 19:19, paja said:

Most interesting, thanks for sharing! 
I wasn't sure about the uniform because of the collar. It seemed to me like it could be generals' but that would be a strange combination with mundir with two rows of buttons and decorations from the 1880s.

Here is photo all the others have uniforms from 1880’s

89331D97-8A1F-4A4C-9C78-5E3D80A34D97.jpeg

On 15.3.2018. at 20:18, paja said:

One more very interesting Obrenović era medal bar with Montenegrin decorations.
01.JPG.eb8fd4d8555effabb01c43d7e6768a9c.JPG
 

1) Miloš IV
2) Takovo with Swords IV
3) Legion of Honor V (France)
4) Franz Joseph V (Austria-Hungary)
5) St. Alexander V (Bulgaria)
6) Golden Bravery Medal
7) Silver Bravery Medal (Montenegro)
8) St. Andrew's Assembly Medal
9) Military Virtues Medal
10) Medal for Zealous Service in War
11) Royal Guards Commemorative Medal
12) Commemorative Medal of the 1876-78 Wars
13) Commemorative Medal of the 1875-78 War (Montenegro)
14)  Commemorative Medal of the 1885 War

Great one, thx for posting it, this combination of Serbian Obrenovic era decorations  with montenegrin decorations is the most beautifull thing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×