News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post your Wehrmacht Chaplain photos here

17 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello : White coffin with royal crown , catholic chaplain , inciense bearer altar boy , interesting . a high ranked dead .

Possibly someone from the aristocracy being buried.

Here is a Heer Chaplain presiding over a Luftwaffe funeral. I believe Goring forbade chaplains in Luftwaffe ranks.

41.jpg

The crown is a royal not a mere aristocracy crown , and yes , Goering forbade the chaplains into his" Luftwaffe . My Luftwaffe is nazi saids the pompous kerl . but as most of the members of the LW were believers , they got in the need of lend a chaplain from the Heer or the KM . curiously the Waffen SS of Himmler allowed the muslims of the Handschar division to have a imam and to the finns of the volunteer finnish bataillon of the Waffen SS to have a protestant chaplain .

1 hour ago, Bayern said:

The crown is a royal not a mere aristocracy crown , and yes , Goering forbade the chaplains into his" Luftwaffe . My Luftwaffe is nazi saids the pompous kerl . but as most of the members of the LW were believers , they got in the need of lend a chaplain from the Heer or the KM . curiously the Waffen SS of Himmler allowed the muslims of the Handschar division to have a imam and to the finns of the volunteer finnish bataillon of the Waffen SS to have a protestant chaplain .

Thank you Bayern for your informative reply. If the crown is a royal symbol I wonder who was being buried.

A Heer officer pays his respects to fallen comrades. A Chaplain can be seen standing far right of photo.

Cheers,

Larry58b7cabb8b90b_BurialwithWehrmachtkriegspfarrer.thumb.jpg.04b7a2b9845ff107bf6b1215cbb48a91.jpg

6 hours ago, LarryT said:

Thank you Bayern for your informative reply. If the crown is a royal symbol I wonder who was being buried.

A Heer officer pays his respects to fallen comrades. A Chaplain can be seen standing far right of photo.

Cheers,

Larry58b7cabb8b90b_BurialwithWehrmachtkriegspfarrer.thumb.jpg.04b7a2b9845ff107bf6b1215cbb48a91.jpg

Another Nice photo from Your great Collection.

Hello All!

One more from my KM Photo Collection!

treqrereqr.jpg

Very nice photo showing a KM Chaplain. Do you know where the photo was taken. Seems some family were present, widow perhaps?

Here is an in the field photo showing a Chaplain performing what I think is Holy Communion.

Cheers,

Larry

185.jpg

23 hours ago, nesredep said:

Hello LarryT!

Sorry no name and text buth on the Photo is a Die Dienstelle Feldpostnummer 4398!

Best from Norway.

dien.jpg

I turned your photo around and I'm pretty sure that your FP number is 43987

FP 43987

28.2.1941 - 29.7.1941 Hafenschutz-Flottille Nordholland

8.9.1942 - 11.3.1943 Hafenschutz-Flottille IJmuiden

See: http://www.axishistory.com/about-ahf/366-germany-kriegsmarine/kriegsmarine-sicherungsstreitkraefte/6603-hafenschutzflottille-nordholland

Cheers,

Larry

dien.jpg.065043c0c9219679b84ab0e56314d596.jpg

Closer view. You can just make out the 7.

dien.jpg.065043c0c9219679b84ab0e56314d596.jpg

• 1 year later...
    6 minutes ago, LarryT said:

Adding a couple more photos to this thread.

KM and Heer Chaplains.

Cheers,

Larry

KM Chaplain 1.jpg

kp.jpg

Your photos is a STUNNER my friend.Thanks for posting and sharing With us!

Cheers,Morten.

On 27/02/2017 at 11:18, LarryT said:

Very nice Morten, thanks for contributing to this thread.

Heer Chaplain. Note the white coffin.

Cheers,

Larry

Wehrmachtkriegspfarrer.jpg

Hi,

if it´s a catholic chaplin it can´t be Wilhelm Prince of Prussia, who died of his wounds sustained during fighting in Valenciennes on the 26th May 1940 in a hospital in the Belgian city of Nivelles. He was protestant. So the remaining German nobility in the rank of kings came from Saxony, Bavaria and Württemberg. Whereas Saxony and Bavaria were ruled by catholic nobility, the house of Württemberg had a protestant and a catholic branch. And they took up the title of "Duke" after 1918.

After the death of the Prussian prince Hitler prohibited nobility of former reigning houses to be active in front duty and from 1943 to be active in the Wehrmacht at all (Prinzenerlass). So if this is a photo of a Prince´s funeral near the front, it must have been taken before May 1940.

If the crown was used for princes from other houses as the above more would qualify, like e.g.:

Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, a pilot shot down in 1944.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

On 29/05/2018 at 04:27, GreyC said:

Hi,

if it´s a catholic chaplin it can´t be Wilhelm Prince of Prussia, who died of his wounds sustained during fighting in Valenciennes on the 26th May 1940 in a hospital in the Belgian city of Nivelles. He was protestant. So the remaining German nobility in the rank of kings came from Saxony, Bavaria and Württemberg. Whereas Saxony and Bavaria were ruled by catholic nobility, the house of Württemberg had a protestant and a catholic branch. And they took up the title of "Duke" after 1918.

After the death of the Prussian prince Hitler prohibited nobility of former reigning houses to be active in front duty and from 1943 to be active in the Wehrmacht at all (Prinzenerlass). So if this is a photo of a Prince´s funeral near the front, it must have been taken before May 1940.

If the crown was used for princes from other houses as the above more would qualify, like e.g.:

Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, a pilot shot down in 1944.

GreyC

Thank you Morten.

Hi GreyC,

Thanks for your informative answer. I have looked on the net for crowns which match or are close to the crown on the end of the coffin.

Haven't found an exact match yet but the Saxony crown is the closest. Whoever is being buried must have had close ties or been a part of the military to have had a military funeral. The presence of an altar boy would mean that the funeral was held in German territory?

Then there is the white coffin. Most coffins I have seen from that period were not white.

Cheers,

Larry

Not only the Roman Catholic Chaplain wears a neck-cross, also the Protestant Chaplains (Evangelische) wears a cross, but without the "Corpus" (body of Christ). On official "business" the RC Chalpains also wears the "stola", a coloured scarf.

4 hours ago, LarryT said:

Thank you Morten.

Hi GreyC,

Thanks for your informative answer. I have looked on the net for crowns which match or are close to the crown on the end of the coffin.

Haven't found an exact match yet but the Saxony crown is the closest. Whoever is being buried must have had close ties or been a part of the military to have had a military funeral. The presence of an altar boy would mean that the funeral was held in German territory?

Then there is the white coffin. Most coffins I have seen from that period were not white.

Cheers,

Larry

The "all white" funeral was not uncommon for nobility. When in 1934 Prince Henry of Mecklenburg, who was married to Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands, died he had an all white funeral. Also, when Queen Wilhelmina died (1962), her funeral was in white.