News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Little Helmets

Spasm

I've been working on these for a bit and have a few more to do. Half scale M42 helmets that are pretty accurate. I've painted and aged them and included hand painted 'decals'. Now I need to make some little helmet stands to go with them. 

They are very nice in the hand being made of steel and with very good weenie copies of the liner and chinstraps. And.....they take up less shelf space and a lot less wallet thickness. 

IMG_1340.JPG

Thanks Frank

Helmet stands are done in a conveyor belt type way so obviously not up to Brian's standard but they do have felt top and bottom and stop the Admin Staff going on about the furniture.

Here's a few more:

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

There's quite a few now but I'll just put on another couple or six:

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

Are you just painting the helmets or making them half scale too?

I've started to cut down wine bottles to use as helmet stands as I find it quicker, easier and more fun. The bag of old glass is easier to carry too when only the top third of the bottles are in it.

Edited by Tony

Tony 

Just painting them I'm afraid, I thought about making them but I really wanted steel ones and then I thought about making the liners - cutting the leather would be ok but making the metal parts of the liner and the bales? and then there's the chinstrap buckle? I just haven't got the equipment. I thought about seeing some local small businesses but how many would you have to order to make it worthwhile to them?

So, I gave up on that plan after thinking about it for about 2 minutes and went and bought some I found on line for sale by a Miniature Arms maker. He has some really outstanding stuff and is the President of the Miniature Arms Journal (I don't know if that means he's the Editor or just a sort of bigwig amongst miniature arms dealers). He sent me a couple of their magazines along with a few half scale helmets. Some people are just really clever - little teenie weenie pistols, rifles, machine guns that actually work.

Amazing stuff that some people do. Quicker and easier is the way to go - wine bottles as stands? you'll need to post some pictures. I've just spent all day taking the bumper off the Admin Staff's car to install some LED back number plate lights. I'm sure I could've done that in an hour or two a few years ago. Just imagine how long it would take me to make a miniature Thompson out of a lump of steel. Pffffft. 

Edited by Spasm

15 hours ago, Spasm said:

Quicker and easier is the way to go - wine bottles as stands? you'll need to post some pictures. I've just spent all day taking the bumper off the Admin Staff's car to install some LED back number plate lights. I'm sure I could've done that in an hour or two a few years ago. Just imagine how long it would take me to make a miniature Thompson out of a lump of steel. Pffffft. 

Here you go mate, it works for me won't be everyone's cup of tea.

WP_20170310_09_29_42_Pro[33333].jpg

Couldn't find any weenie wine bottles :) and you leave the labels on. Wide enough to hold the helmet pretty firmly and not to be unbalanced. A great idea, especially if you can get some vintage ones.

Already had some stands made and have now got some M1 weenie half scale helmets. 

I've painted this one as a 101st Airborne 327th Glider Infantry Regiment. It is a front seam helmet. Steel pot with swivel bales, great looking and pretty accurate liner. 

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

Tony, thank you my man. I had to look up Poilu Beer - yes, isn't that the hero from Valiant Hearts. Now, if you haven't played Valiant Hearts on the computer machine you really need to go have a look. Probably the best WW1 game ever.

Anyhows, here's a few more - from the left - 101st Airborne 327th Glider Inf Rgt - 82nd Airborne Military Police - General Matthew Ridgway's helmet - 35th Infantry Div Medic

IMG_1434.JPG

Edited by Spasm

• 6 months later...

Hi Gents

first I'd like to say....

its easier to believe that's a giant tape measure than a 'small helmet', amazing detail.

Hi Spasm, I I hope you don't mind me slipping this in....

I have just posted in the imp german forum and now by chance have seen these. I hope you agree it's worth showing here too...

IMG_2816.thumb.JPG.29b1a88c916b494b4cfac5d3a13ee2ea.JPGIMG_2815.thumb.JPG.f61057276e4c7b4e64759a497230d5f3.JPGIMG_2812.thumb.JPG.7553619dd0f452a84915dded92f3b555.JPG

IMG_2817.thumb.JPG.e24ec5dfaad83f97174fe7451f3a3017.JPG

hope you like it Gents

tony

• 7 months later...