Gentleman's Military Interest Club
JTD

looking for info on Sturmbatallion #8

JTD   

Hello gents, I have been trying to gather some history on Sturmbatallion 8, and have not been doing to good. Seems very little is easy to find on the unit. I have received very good info from this group in the past, and figured it is time to ask for help again on this unit. I recently aquired a luger marked to their MGK, and am trying to write up their battle history if possible. Thank you for any leads to books, or information in advance, John

Shared a pic of the unit mark on a 1917 DWM. John

20170312_162749_002_1.jpg

Hello John!

The Sturmbataillon had been set-up december 28, 1916 by A.O.K. Südarmee.

The Ersatz came:

for staff and storm-companies from II.Ers.Btl./Inf.Rgt.21

for MGK: 4.Ers.MGK/XVII.AK

for trench mortars: Pi.Ers.Btl.17

The bataillon probably fought in all major battles of the Südarmee, espacially:

2.3.17 and 12.-13.3.17: Battle of Lipnica-Dolna

25.6.17: Patrols at Lipnica-Dolna

29.6.-3.7.17: Defense of the russian offensive

29.6.-3.7.17: Battle of Brzezany

4.-20.7.17: Trenchbattles at the Narajowka, between Narajowka and Zlota-Lipa and Ceniowka

JTD   

Thank you Andy!!, There is very little I can find online.  I am sure they were sent to the western front after Russia got out of the war also. My search is on-going...... Again, thanks for your input,   John 

Hello John!

Yes, you´re right! After armistice in the east, the Sturmbataillon 8 came under command of the 17th army at the western front

GreyC   

Hi,

here is a Überweisungsnationale of a member of Sturmbataillon 8.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/berliner/catalogue-id-bahg10000/lot-44a679d2-654a-4aa3-a36c-a49d016c8095

GreyC

PS: Überweisungsnationale is something like a copy of the Wehrpaß for the Bezirkskommando that the soldier was registered at after his service.

JTD   

Grey, thanks for link, too bad it is over, I would have had interest in that.I have seen other posts of documents related to this batallion I would be interested in also. Chris seems to have a few related to sturm 8 that are real killers!!!!  Hint......    John