News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Funny thing is all the expensive ones are still on it. I have a good KO marked EK2 for it.  The Centenaur should not be hard to find.  I believe the LS should be the Landwehr XX year cross.

20170324_120414.jpg

20170324_120421.jpg

Don, 

What is the cipher on the SEK4X?

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt had its own Dienstauszeichnung, but Schwarzburg-Sondershausen typically awarded active NCOs the silver Ehrenmedaille for 12 years' service.  I think the missing one is more likely an earlier-awarded Prussian DA3 for 9 years' service or a DA1 for 15 years.  An LD2 is possible, but I think he is more likely an career NCO who then took a civil service job (military service time would count toward the Treuedienst-Ehrenzeichen).

3 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

Don, 

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt had its own Dienstauszeichnung, but Schwarzburg-Sondershausen typically awarded active NCOs the silver Ehrenmedaille for 12 years' service.  I think the missing one is more likely an earlier-awarded Prussian DA3 for 9 years' service or a DA1 for 15 years.  An LD2 is possible, but I think he is more likely an career NCO who then took a civil service job (military service time would count toward the Treuedienst-Ehrenzeichen).

It's GFC for Schwarzburg-Sonderhausen.As for the LS medal, the thread for tieing the award down around the ose is still present. The distance from the tie down (top of the medal to the bottom of the bar is approx 34mm.

The missing medals make absolutely no sense to me because they are all common and relatively cheap.

Edited by dond

Maybe someone had a three-medal bar missing those medals, and decided to fix it and sell it for some quick cash, figuring he could fix this one anytime later.

There were 87 total awards of the SEK4X from Sondershausen, of which 3 were replaced with later awards of the SEK3X. Probably half can be immediately ruled out because of other awards, dying before the Third Reich so no Treuedienst possible, or too young for the Centenary.  For a few recipients, the files noted that their SEM2 was returned, as was supposed to happen, but didn't always occur.

Of the awards, 21 were to Feldwebelleutnants, 40 to Offizier-Stellvertreter, 12 to junior medical officials (Unterärzte and Feldhilfsärzte), and 5 to Zahlmeister. Most of the rest were to various Beamter-types.

Nice Schwarzburg bar... really very easy to restore: I would put a Landwehr DA 2. Klasse or 1. Klasse and a Zentenarmedaille... if you put a Landwehr 2nd class you would have to invest about 20-30 USD + EK2 (30-40), with a 1st class maybe 100-150 USD more... either way really doable... 

Edited by Claudio

Dave, thanks for the info.  I will ponder which DA I will go with.  Perhaps when I go to attach the Centenarmedal it will become more clear. 

Everyone else, thanks for the nice comments.  I'll update this thread as the restoration takes place. Hopefully by then I will figure out why my phone pics post upside down.

Ahhh, So you bought it!  I'm glad.  I gave pause myself when I saw it for sale.  An excellent restore project that shouldn't be too daunting. 

I really like the double Schwarzburg awards.  I have a medal bar and ribbon bar set with two Schwarzburgs on them.  It was also missing medals and I restored it using the best information I had.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

On 3/25/2017 at 11:33, Dave Danner said:

Don, 

Dave, 

Then did the NCO receive a DA at 9 yrs then the ehren medal at 12 years?

chuck

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...