News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy / unknown medal / badge

Good evening Gentlemen,

Does anybody have any idea to what this Italian medal or badge refers to?

Thank you in advance for your information.

All the best.

Jean-Sam.

ItaliaDistintoSconosciuto.jpg

ItaliaDistintoSconosciutoBack.jpg

• 11 months later...

I DON'T speak Italian, but the inscription on the medal/ribbon seems to be for the Fifth Congress of animal breeding and artificial insemination in September of 1964.  Perhaps a Google search of Lazzaro Spallanzani might tell you more.  

Hugh

Hello,

Although I am not 100% sure about it, this medal would have been issued to members of a special corps of the Italian Resistance during WW2. Whether it was given for a special deed, for valour or as a commemorative token, I do not know.

Above: the head of a wolf with "In bocca al lupo" (i.e.: [shoot] straight into the wolf's mouth), an Italian saying meaning "Good luck".

Below: the Italian flag and "C.V.L.", standing for "Corpo Volontari della Libertà" (Freedom Volunteers Corps).

Reverse: should be blank. 

I hope this helps.

Al the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

this medal is described in this book: Franco Scandaluzzi: "Medaglie e Distintivi della Resistenza e della Liberazione", Milan, 2001, page 124.

There it's indicated as one of the various general commemorative medals given after the liberation, from the local veterans' organizations of the "C.V.L.". The book also indicates a "normal" tricolour ribbon. The purple one with tricolour borders, should be the one for the official volunteers' medal of the type for the National Liberation Corps.

Best wishes,

E.L.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we are "straying in Italy", does anybody have information about the following pilot's wings (period, qualification, civil or military, etc.)? What's that "I" in the middle refering to?... unless these wings are not Italian at all...

Thank you in advance.

All the best,

Jean-Sam.  

ItalieAilesPilote.jpg