News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I BLAME YOU ALL!

I just purchased my FIFTH  named Navy Good Conduct Medal.  I keep telling myself I collect British and Canadian.

Sadly, the cost of a Freedom of Information request in the UK is almost as much as the medal.  For my group to Smart, National Archives sent me his record for free.

Back history:  I spent my youth building model airplanes, including a whole bunch of U.S. Navy 1925-45.  So when a medal to a man who served on USS Hornet (CV-12) from its commissioning comes up, I guess I have to have it.

Michael

I bought a USN discharge certificate offa eBay - enlisted 1949, discharged 1953, immediate re-up for 4 years..  When I found his veteran's Veteran's Burial on Ancestry it looks like he served from 1943 into the 1970s - WWII, Korea, AND Vietnam.  I'm sending off for his record, and suspect he had quite a rack, ending up as a SCPO.  Could even beat Smart's group.

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    On 03/04/2017 at 18:27, Michael Johnson said:

I just purchased my FIFTH  named Navy Good Conduct Medal.  I keep telling myself I collect British and Canadian.

Sadly, the cost of a Freedom of Information request in the UK is almost as much as the medal.  For my group to Smart, National Archives sent me his record for free.

Back history:  I spent my youth building model airplanes, including a whole bunch of U.S. Navy 1925-45.  So when a medal to a man who served on USS Hornet (CV-12) from its commissioning comes up, I guess I have to have it.

Michael

I know your feelings very well. I got bitten by that bug to. From pearl harbor to torpedo bomber rear gunner on an air craft carrier... All are researched.

20161113_162413.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have one I definitely want to follow up on.  Asa William Garrison. Y2C. Joined CV-12 USS Hornet when it was commissioned. Served on her until October 1944.

Paul R. My earliest is to William Nacelli 1932.  I don't have his record, but documents on Ancestry show that he enlisted in 1919, and served until 1946.  I love those old four-stacker DDs, and he served on a slew of them:

USS Tattnall (DD-125)

USS Williamson (DD-244)

USS Childs (DD-241)

USS Gilmer (DD-233)

USS Leary (DD-158)

Then

USS Sterett (DD-407)

USS Rowan (DD-405)

USS Markab (AD-21)

USS Denebola (AD-12)

USS Anthedon (AS-24)

He married twice.  Strangely enough, his first wife died in my home town of Oakville ON while travelling.  He remarried in the Philippines, probably when stationed at Subic Bay.  He is buried in the Philippines.

Michael 

W Nacelli record 1.jpg

W Nacelli 1946 Discharge.jpg

Add documents

Bill,

I have five singles in all:

William Nacelli 1932

Asa William Garrison 1946

Frederick Mulford Sharp 1944 Re-enlisted for Korea

Albert Larue Delp Jr. 1945  His Pennsylvania Veterans Compensation application states no foreign service.

Robert Walter Phelps 1945