News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Nigerian medal Bar

Ulsterman

Always on the lookout for decent gongs I noticed this in a National Geographic magazine last year-the medal bar of a Kenyan army Sjt. Maj. Timothy Brown Wando at a Mau Mau commemoration ceremony. Information on African medals is hard come by-let alone the medal bars themselves. These look great and I would be proud to have this as a center piece of my collection. However, I can only guess as to what and why most of the medals were actually awardedto Mr. Wando.

Any ideas? Ed?

Ed?

Edited by Ulsterman

The very last one is the UNPROFOR medal issued for service in the former Yugoslavia. Here's the Award document as issued by the UN I am interested in the rest of them also, they are proving to be very hard to "google". I remember when we were there a Ghanaian troop froze at his post in the winter of 92/93, we had a week of -20 cel and lots of snow and wind

Always on the lookout for decent gongs I noticed this in a National Geographic magazine last year-the medal bar of a Nigerian army Sjt. Maj. Timothy Brown Wando at a Mau Mau commemoration ceremony. Information on African medals is hard come by-let alone the medal bars themselves. These look great and I would be proud to have this as a center piece of my collection. However, I can only guess as to what and why most of the medals were actually awardedto Mr. Wando.

Any ideas? Ed?

Ed?

Wish I knew. Sub-Saharan Africa -- and Latin America -- remain largely unexplored territory, unpopulated by any reference sources. While Megan Robertson's website has pretty good African material, her Nigerian information is sparse beyond the names of things (which is, at least, a start).

See: http://www.medals.org.uk/nigeria/nigeria.htm

As usual, Antonio Prieto Barrio's ribbon pages come riding in to the rescue and may hold some answers if one is up for a major exertion of squinting and comparing:

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas...ica/nigeria.gif

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas...ca/nigeria1.gif

(Some of these pages are cranky and may require a "reload" for them to show up properly.)

Although, on a quick glance, I do not see any matches on any of the more obvious ribbons in the National Geographic photo. I wonder if they got things wrong here? Wouldn't be the first time?! For example, the first ribbon there looks more like the Namibian Bravery Medal 3rd class than anything else I can find. Namibia/Nigeria, hey, NatGeo?! Well, they both start with "N" after all!

Lukasz Gaszewski hasn't yet gotten any African information up.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

No-my fault-Kenya-very definetly Kenya (Mau Mau after all).

I have Nigeria on my mind as I bought a Nigerian medal yesterday.

Wondered about that, thought maybe there were "foreign friends" invited over for the commemoration. It would be interesting to see how the event was commemorated. I think finding common ground between the two very different histories of that time would be difficult, though I suspect there weren't many (British) Africa General Service Medals in the crowd.

Will try looking up Kenyan information when I have the time.

Here is Antonio's Kenya page: http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/africa/kenia.gif

A few are there, although many are "?".

#1 is a Distinguished Service Medal

#2 is a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Second to last, before the UN Medal, is a 25th Anniversary Medal.

Thanks, Dave. Antonio's pages are always a good place to start.

We clearly have a long way to go on African ODM.