News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Happy Reunion

Earlier this year, I had the good fortune to buy at auction, an interesting First World War group of six to a Grenadier Guards Captain. The name rang a bell, so with a little light research, I came up with a name and address in order to send a speculative note to a possible family member. This morning, I received my reply and after a telephone call with the lady in question, shall now be able to reunite the medal group with the rightful owner. However, the story of how the medals came to leave the family possession is worth mentioning. Until late last year, they were in the possession of the recipient's daughter in law. She was visited in her home by an antique dealer, who was interested in purchasing some pieces of hers (not including these medals), and she discovered some time later that the medals of her late husband and father in law were missing. The auction house has been contacted to alert them to the fact that the lot was not acquired legally and now (almost) everyone is happy.

MVO Group.PNG

• 4 months later...

Hi Gents

i hate hearing of robbing b******s like this... should be a specific law to cover HM awards I reckon.

My Grandfathers were sold on EBay without my permission and because Austro-H are unnamed are gone forever...

also please

Can someone identify the end left medal for me, thanks if you can

and...

Hi Binky

do you have any update  on the  action against the person who put them up for auction?

and I'm curious how this has left you? I hope the auction house was 'responsible' and you were not out of pocket.

On 13/04/2017 at 19:31, Binky said:

Earlier this year, I had the good fortune to buy at auction, an interesting First World War group of six to a Grenadier Guards Captain. The name rang a bell, so with a little light research, I came up with a name and address in order to send a speculative note to a possible family member. This morning, I received my reply and after a telephone call with the lady in question, shall now be able to reunite the medal group with the rightful owner. However, the story of how the medals came to leave the family possession is worth mentioning. Until late last year, they were in the possession of the recipient's daughter in law. She was visited in her home by an antique dealer, who was interested in purchasing some pieces of hers (not including these medals), and she discovered some time later that the medals of her late husband and father in law were missing. The auction house has been contacted to alert them to the fact that the lot was not acquired legally and now (almost) everyone is happy.

MVO Group.PNG

On 14/04/2017 at 08:18, coldstream said:

Well Done, glad to see that these impressive medals are back home again.

Regards Simon

tony

The order is the Sebian Order of the White eagle, I think.  One of the lower classes perhaps - 3rd or 4th.

Great news and all too rare.  I too hope the b***er responsible for the theft is taken to law.  This happens with elderly people and unscrupulous dealers from time to time and far to often no charges are laid or pressed.