News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Life Guards Officer Full Dress Uniform

Hello, I'd like to submit this

The video shows, at min. 5:19 approx,  a dismounted LG Officer in Full Dress Uniform with a cocked-hat and rich, white plume. I know that Dress Regulations for Household Cavalry order a cocked-hat only for Medical, Veterinary Officers, Chaplains, and Quartermaster Officers, but they wear different plumes colour (Black for Med and Chaplains, red for Vet; white for QM but in a different, smaller shape). Can anyone in the forum help me to identify the role of this officer.There's another, similar officer in the video, same uniform/cocked hat, marching along the dismounted contingent. Are they possibly Adjutants? Thank you in advance

Have to say that I have been unable to work this one out. As you say the shape of the plume is unusual and not the shape normally associated with Quartermasters.

One thing of note is the lack of Medals being worn by the Man in question, surely anyone of Quartermaster Rank would have to have a great deal of service and surely would have a fair medal bar.

Will seek advice from a couple of ex Donkey Wallopers I know and see what I can find out:D

Simon

Do you think that's the same Man, no sure myself, will take another look.

Simon

Take a look at 4.28, that is the Man with the medal bar and if you continue to watch the second Man with the single medal marches past!

Doesn't assist us in ID but infact makes things worse, 2 QM'S...unlikely! Odd!

Simon

Thank you Coldstream. You are correct.The man at min 2:36 is the same as the one at min 4:28. Then comes the other Officer at min 5:17. I'm bound to exclude they are QMs who wear different, upright plumes. My suggestion would be a recently introduced headdress for Adjutants (one for each Household Cavalry Unit;  Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, and HCav Regiment). Does anyone confirm? Many thanks

For those of you still interested, I believe I found the answer to my question (Adjutants, Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment) in the following passage from Army Dress Regulations 2011:

COCKED HATS 10.2. The following appointments are entitled to wear cocked hats1 at public expense only with Full Dress and/or frockcoat: a. Major General Commanding Household Division and Chief of Staff London District. b. Gold Sticks, Silver Stick, and Regtl Adjt and CO and Adjt HCMR. c. QMs and certain other LE officer appointments of the Foot Guards on public duties (see Part 3 for further details). d. Veterinary officers and surgeons of the Household Cavalry2 . e. The Constable, the Lieutenant of the Tower, the Resident Governor and Keeper of the Jewel House of the Royal Palace and Fortress of London. 1 Note that all these cocked differ in the style of the embellishment on the right hand side and the length and colours of the feather plumes – See Parts 2 and 3 of these Regulations for details. 2 Note that the veterinary officers and surgeons of the Household Cavalry are part of the Regiment and belong to one of LG or RHG/D unlike the veterinary officers to King’s Troop who are attached from the RAVC.

Thank you everybody for your attention, Bye

• 2 weeks later...

The mounted officer in the cocked hat in the first frame is not a Household Cavalry officer.  He is the City Marshall of London whose job it is to challenge any armed group from without the city. (He also challenges the Queen when she visits the City). Because the Life Guards  have the privilege of marching through the city with drums beating, bands playing, standards flying, swords drawn and bayonets fixed, he welcomed them to proceed after the challenge.  This was the first time the Life Guards had exercised tis privilege since the Falklands War.  It is so important a privilege that every member of the regiment turns out including veterinaries, surgeons and quartermasters.

• 2 months later...
    On 07/05/2017 at 21:47, theironduke1 said:

The mounted officer in the cocked hat in the first frame is not a Household Cavalry officer.  He is the City Marshall of London whose job it is to challenge any armed group from without the city. (He also challenges the Queen when she visits the City). Because the Life Guards  have the privilege of marching through the city with drums beating, bands playing, standards flying, swords drawn and bayonets fixed, he welcomed them to proceed after the challenge.  This was the first time the Life Guards had exercised tis privilege since the Falklands War.  It is so important a privilege that every member of the regiment turns out including veterinaries, surgeons and quartermasters.

On 25/04/2017 at 20:19, coldstream said:

Well Done, seems to have solved that.

All the best Simon

On 25/04/2017 at 15:23, corbog said:

For those of you still interested, I believe I found the answer to my question (Adjutants, Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment) in the following passage from Army Dress Regulations 2011:

COCKED HATS 10.2. The following appointments are entitled to wear cocked hats1 at public expense only with Full Dress and/or frockcoat: a. Major General Commanding Household Division and Chief of Staff London District. b. Gold Sticks, Silver Stick, and Regtl Adjt and CO and Adjt HCMR. c. QMs and certain other LE officer appointments of the Foot Guards on public duties (see Part 3 for further details). d. Veterinary officers and surgeons of the Household Cavalry2 . e. The Constable, the Lieutenant of the Tower, the Resident Governor and Keeper of the Jewel House of the Royal Palace and Fortress of London. 1 Note that all these cocked differ in the style of the embellishment on the right hand side and the length and colours of the feather plumes – See Parts 2 and 3 of these Regulations for details. 2 Note that the veterinary officers and surgeons of the Household Cavalry are part of the Regiment and belong to one of LG or RHG/D unlike the veterinary officers to King’s Troop who are attached from the RAVC.

Thank you everybody for your attention, Bye

Great thread all

tony