News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification

HasanRJ

Hey guys. I need some help with this picture. I posted the same picture some time back(but of lower quality), which was of no help.

What I Know:
    The man on the right is my grandfather. He enlisted in the British Indian Army in (late 1944?). He served in Rangoon(Burma) and may have been near the front lines. He survived the war.

What I Want to Know:
    - Information about the coat of arms, shoulder marks and ribbon bar. Also his regiment and rank.
    - Other areas he may have served in.
    - Any other relevant info.

I'll be forever grateful if any one can help me know more about my grandfather. Thank you for your time.

weqw.jpg

Edited by HasanRJ
    wrong pic

I think that the first medal on his chest is the India General Service Medal (1909) - a very disntinctive gree/blue/green ribbon.  [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_General_Service_Medal_(1909)]  So, he must be older than he looks, as the last bar for that was the NWF 1935 bar,before the medal was replced by the IGS 1936.   On a second look, the rest of the ribbons look as if thewy could be WWI, not WWII.  Does that fit with his age as you know it?

The gent on the left is wearing a very odd tunic, with the exposed buttons and both appear to be wearing some sort of [temporary] slip-on rank tabs on their epaulettes, which makes me think 'officer cadet' or 'officer', though perhaps they belong to some irregular unit, uniformed by the British or Indians as the war wwas ending.  

A close-up of the badge he wears on his left breast pocket would be very very helpful.

Person on Right:

That can't be because he was born in 1927. The badge (under the ribbon bar) seems to be a crown on the top with two swords cutting across and in the center are two rifles cutting across. I've tried finding it but no luck as of yet.

Person on Left:

I honestly have no idea. Though, the insignia on his right shoulder seems to be of a private(newbie's observation).

sdsda.jpg

Hasan Rj : Perhaps your grandfather served in the pakistani Army after the partition . the picture looks like taked in a cold place and not in Burma . the slip on tabs on the shoulder straps appears to be the ones used by Viceroy commisioned officers .there were red with a central strip of matt gold . apart VCOs used one to three pips over the straps . 

The badge is the Bronze one issued to members of the Indian Army who served in WWI!  He must be wearing the WWI medals and the badge of arelative.  Perhaps his father?

Good eye, Bayern.  I wasn't able to make out any detail on the shoulder straps except that they were wearing some kind of slip-on, but what you sat seems plausible.

• 2 months later...

He is wearing the 1915 star, ww1 war medal, victory medal, and the igsm. If you turn the ribbon bar around they are in the correct order. He wears them vice versa. 

So, for someone born in 1927 he wears some strange ribbons.

Cheers

Herman

Edited by Herman

Actually, Herman, if the IGS 1908 was awarded for that campaign, with the 'N.W.F 1908', then the ribbons are in the correct order and that combination, IGS first is quite common in the Indian Army and not unknown in the Btitish Army of the period. However, you are correct that it is an improbable combination for someone born in 1927, which is why I suggested that perhaps they were his father's.

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 14:58, peter monahan said:

Actually, Herman, if the IGS 1908 was awarded for that campaign, with the 'N.W.F 1908', then the ribbons are in the correct order and that combination, IGS first is quite common in the Indian Army and not unknown in the Btitish Army of the period. However, you are correct that it is an improbable combination for someone born in 1927, which is why I suggested that perhaps they were his father's.

I'm sorry, but even then the ribbons are in the wrong order. The 1915 star is always before the BWM, which precedes the VM. This means that the IGS worn in a medalbar like this, always has a post WW1 campaign bar.

Cheers

Herman