News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maker ID required please!

Hi!

I recently came by a WW1 EK II, and have been trying to find out through the magic of G**gle who the maker might be (assuming it is real!), but with no luck. It looks to be "SA", but never having looked at any of these things before, and not finding anything on the web, I'd appreciate any help from pals out there!

EK 2a.jpg

Ooooh that's a tough one! Could it be a poorly stamped WS shown upside down in your photo?

Do you know this site http://www.kaisersbunker.com/stuff/1914_EK2_makers.htm

I didn't see anything there to answer your question but it's a good reference site for all things WWI involving gear worn by the CEF, the RFC as well as German uniforms and headgear.

Tony

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ooooh that's a tough one! Could it be a poorly stamped WS shown upside down in your photo?

Do you know this site http://www.kaisersbunker.com/stuff/1914_EK2_makers.htm

Thanks Tony, 

Yes I periodically step into the kaiserbunker as it is an excellent general source on the very many things I know nowt about - I am a WW1 German bayonet collector really!

Could be a 'WS' - but I have no idea as to which way they stamped the things! I was reading from outside in but I guess it could be from inside out?

Will this one below do to be going on with? I'll try and gets ones of the cross alone tomorrow or at the weekend.

Also, any thoughts on the use of the Kyffhäuserbund swords on the Ehrenkreuz ribbon? These were not needed to show the man's combatant status as the medal did that. As the medals are easily detachable from the ribbon bar, I did wonder if they were for when the ribbon bar was worn by itself to show the recipient's status as a Frontkampfer recipient of the Ehrenkreuz. I have seen other examples like this.

Julian

ek 2 and hind2.jpg

Edited by Trajan

Thanks Eric,

I'll try and get new photographs of the EK on line later today - when I find my camera! - but yes, a partial stamp for 'WUS' is a good explanation. I gather that there were quite a few EK makers and that not all have been conclusively identified, but Joh.Wagner und Sohn of Berlin were noted retailers of medals, etc..

The Ehrenkreuz, by the way, has what I gather is a common maker's mark - 'O.6' for Orden-Herstellergemeinschaft - Pforzheim

Any thoughts, by the way, on the use of Kyffhäuserbund swords on the Ehrenkreuz ribbon on an Ordnensspange? I have seen other examples like this on the web, in collections and in 'for sale' adverts... I can understand why a man would have these crossed swords on the ribbon on a Feldspange but why on an Ordensspange when the recipient's category of Ehrenkreuz medal would be clearly visible from the medal itself?

Jullian 

29 minutes ago, Trajan said:

Any thoughts, by the way, on the use of Kyffhäuserbund swords on the Ehrenkreuz ribbon on an Ordnensspange? I have seen other examples like this on the web, in collections and in 'for sale' adverts... I can understand why a man would have these crossed swords on the ribbon on a Feldspange but why on an Ordensspange when the recipient's category of Ehrenkreuz medal would be clearly visible from the medal itself?

Jullian 

Do you know this site? https://www.weltkriegs-ehrenkreuz.de/schriftstücke-fotos/trägerfotos/

The Ehrenkreuz site also shows copies of pages from some makers including various sword attachments but no photos of the medal being worn with swords on the ribbon.

Just guessing here but I think it's possible someone just wanted a bit more bling, or perhaps the swords were added at a much later date?

Hi Tony,

Yes I saw that site - and one of the photographs at the start page does show some uniformed official with an SA member, and the former seems to have something on his Ehrenkreuz ribbon, possibly crossed swords. But, basically, yes - more 'bling' was required by the owner of my pair!

Julian

4 hours ago, Trajan said:

I'll try and get new photographs of the EK on line later today - when I find my camera! -

Eric,

How are these? Do they help in anyway?

Julian

ek 2c.jpg

ek 2b.jpg