News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I recently got this postcard, showing a NCO armed with a Mauser C96 pistol and Seitengewehr, and awarded with the EKII and EKI. 

But I can't figure it out what is the other medal in his buttonhole.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Douglas 

C96 NCO - Copia.jpg

Edited by Douglas Jr.

Hi,

to me he is not Hessian but Württembergisch. See cockade and shoulder strap. It sports the "13" and is piped in red. That makes it Württembergisches Pionierbataillon 13. As this bataillon was also responsible to set up other units, which would therefore show same straps as "motherunit", he could also be in one of those different units. He himself is a Vizefeldwebel (Sergeantenknopf) or Feldwebel (book in cuffs). The medal could be the Silberne Militärverdienstmedaille von 1892.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hello!

I agree with Pionier.

The problem is, in 1914 all Engeneer units, that were formed by Pi.Btl.13 had the shoulder-strap 13.

Later those war-time units did recieve their own numbers.

Here is a list of all units, built by the Pi.Btl.13:

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Edited by The Prussian

Hi Chip,

if I remember correctly it´s from the unit´s history.

L. Knies: Das württembergische Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 13 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 (H. Flaischlen: Die württembergischen Regimenter im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 , Band 41), Chr. Belser AG, Verlagsbuchhandlung Stuttgart 1927

GreyC

Edited by GreyC
    addition

GreyC,

That makes sense, just wanted to make sure it wasn't some larger tome that I needed for my library. I only have a few unit histories and collecting them is a lifetime occupation I have no ambition to try.

Chip