News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

It is unusual but not uncommon to find different named units on the Great War medals awarded to South African recipients.

South Africa did not follow the same naming protocols as were applied to the medals issued to United Kingdom land forces, for example no regimental numbers appear on SA issues, and they did not not name all the three medals (to Trio recipients) identically to the first unit a recipient was serving in when he first entered a theatre of war.

With regards to the British War Medal, the unit stamped on that medal tended to be the last one served-in while in a qualifying area (remember the qualifying and cut-off dates for the BWM were different from the Interallied Victory Medal).

In the case of those chaps who served with the Citizen Forces / Commandos in GSWA, and subsequently joined up for service overseas from Southern Africa, you will see above differences in unit naming from time to time.

In former years I used to collect medals to the Transvaal Scottish, and had a couple of groups like yours. Indeed I have had, and seen rarer instances where all three medals have been named to three different units - with supporting paperwork to confirm......

Downside to above is that folks living outside of South Africa, and not familiar with the nuances of South African Great War medal issues, have in the past either refused medals, and or worse 'weeded-out' otherwise perfectly legitimate and complete medal entitlements, only because of the 'differences' in units.....

Keep yours together they are certainly to one and the same man.

Mark