News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria Medal for Merit and Order for Merit

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Igor. Here are two of the images I've taken at the museum. I'd suggest we stick to the topic though (which is the medal, not the order). 

PS: If you're asking about 'golden' Orders of merit - I don't think they have any on display at the museum. I might be wrong though. 

OrderOfMerit.jpg

OrderOfMerit2.jpg

16 hours ago, Yankee said:

YOUNG FERDINAND

img270.jpg

img271.jpg

Yankee, is this your medal? It's a very rare one indeed. I haven't seen such an example in person but by the photos I came across, all the silver medals of this type are really worn out and/or with lots of patina on them. This makes me think that the material is not pure silver (if silver at all). Are you able to prove this? Are there any markings on the medal? 

4 hours ago, Igor Ostapenko said:

Very good medal , rare variant !!! 

But ... you must clean this Item :) 

I find in web picture of  "gold" Order 

image.jpeg

Hi Igor

I too noticed the dirt for the first time.  I can only think of the high humidity that I live in that would cause this build up.  I don't like to disturb medals in trying to clean them, perhaps make it worse. I had no idea that it was rare. 

1 hour ago, ilieff said:

Yankee, is this your medal? It's a very rare one indeed. I haven't seen such an example in person but by the photos I came across, all the silver medals of this type are really worn out and/or with lots of patina on them. This makes me think that the material is not pure silver (if silver at all). Are you able to prove this? Are there any markings on the medal? 

Hi ilieff

I bought it about a decade ago,  from a Bulgarian dealer.  The reason why I purchased it was the high relief and crisp details that struck me.  I believe it is silver and appeared to be in mint condition. Now it is heavily tarnished which I suspect must be from the humidity. I did not see any hallmarks.  Any idea how many were awarded?

1 hour ago, Igor Ostapenko said:

wash soap with a brush, place a copper medal in a Coca-Cola for 25-30 minutes, silver for an hour, then rinse with water and dry with a napkin

( you can try with simple medals ) 

I thought Coca Cola was only used to clean car engines and pizza restaurants.  Good idea to experiment on something of less value.

9 hours ago, Yankee said:

Any idea how many were awarded?

I cannot quote any figures, but certainly not that many were decorated. This is one of the rarest emissions in general, and I have only seen photographs of 5 or 6 medals (both bronze and silver) in total. We are still waiting for a 'golden' medal of this issue to be discovered (in case it existed at all).

5 hours ago, ilieff said:

I cannot quote any figures, but certainly not that many were decorated. This is one of the rarest emissions in general, and I have only seen photographs of 5 or 6 medals (both bronze and silver) in total. We are still waiting for a 'golden' medal of this issue to be discovered (in case it existed at all).

I was wrong after removing the dust clouds from Ferdinand did discover a maker below the bust. - l  NCR only those four letters were available to my loop.  Any idea who the engraver is?  Perhaps Igor's example just posted has same engraver.

img275.jpg

img276.jpg

18 hours ago, Yankee said:

I could have sworn when first purchased my example looked exactly like yours.

Are you sure that these are not photographs of the same medal? The ribbons look identical and this can hardly be achieved as these are hand-stitched. The photograph Igor posted is from the archives of the website, so it's older than [perhaps] 10 years - it might be your medal prior to you purchasing it. 

2a3e4516_bgmermedsilprferdohook2.jpg.ffa567bd45cfc8165e89abea33de87e5[1].jpg

Edited by ilieff

6 hours ago, ilieff said:

Are you sure that these are not photographs of the same medal? The ribbons look identical and this can hardly be achieved as these are hand-stitched. The photograph Igor posted is from the archives of the website, so it's older than [perhaps] 10 years - it might be your medal prior to you purchasing it. 

2a3e4516_bgmermedsilprferdohook2.jpg.ffa567bd45cfc8165e89abea33de87e5[1].jpg

It had never occurred to me looking at the medal posted by Igor being being the same as mine.  The ribbon just faded out after all this time,  and as you quite clearly point out the stitching is an exact match.  I had hoped it was a different medal that Igor posted to get confirmation of the engraver.  BTW just recently found your site and found it very informative and easy to navigate. Thanks for that

On 10/29/2017 at 10:21, Igor Ostapenko said:

How many gold grade orders were awarded ? 

##############################

two variation of order “ForMerit” with signature of P. Telge -

first “little head” and  “big head” 

A62A2CB0-AAD2-4151-9248-531F51095095.jpeg

Signature. differents

4766F4AA-078B-4ABB-8370-0766F849751D.jpeg

Hi Igor

Is the big head type more rare?  Never encountered YELOE engraver or a gold merit order. They must be very rare. Thanks for making me aware.