Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Hi,  Can anyone help in trying to find the identity to a miniature group of medals that include the Chile Order of Merit. The group include QSA , WW1 trio with 14-15 star, 1902 coronation and

Chile order of merit. I am stuck as to where to go next. Attached image of medals. I think the Chile medal is a type 2, 1911-1924 . Any ideas?

Regards

The Order was instituted in 1906, 'For meritorious service provided by foreigners to the Republic of Chile', and at least one 1930s award was to a Luftwaffe officer, presumably attached to the German embassy in Chile, so it's a fair bet that the owner of this set was a military attache or some such in Chile.

One point: all the illustraions I can find show that the Order ribbon is solid blue, while the red/white blue ribbon on this example seems to be the ribbon for the Chilean Order of Civil Merit so presumably at some point the original ribbon was replaced, either in error or because the owner wasn't able to get the correct ribbon, with one from a similar order.  Here is an example of the Civil Merit order:

https://www.emedals.com/an-chilean-order-of-civil-merit-knight

Hi, Here is a picture of the original diploma award which shows the ribbon but with colours in a different order. I was given some names of people who were awarded the Chile medal in 1924/5 but they were all too young to have fought in the Boer war. 

Regards

image.jpg

Clearly I am mistaken, then, about the correct ribbon - as illustrated on the award document.  I was popping back and forth between several on-line sites and trying to sort out the earlier award from the later version and 'merit' from 'Civl Merit' :(

However, it still looks to me as if the owner or his tailor used a substitute, a common enough practice with rare foreign awards, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure how one would go about tracking down the owner, other than trolling the London Gazette or whatever the Chilean equivalent would be, if such exists, and I'm not familiar enough with the Gazette to guess whether or not such an award would appear there.  Frustrating!