News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, it was a nice Somme citation...

Während des Einsatzes der 9. Komp. b. Res. Inf. Rgts. 7 bei Maurepas in der Sommeschlacht am 18.8.1916 zeichnete sich der Inftr. Grieshammer und der Gefr. Mütter durch ganz besondere Tapferkeit aus . Schon während des Tages überbrachten sie im heftigsten Trommelfeuer aller Kaliber verschiedene wichtige Meldungen von der Bataillons zur Regimentsbefehlsstelle . Als dann die Franzosen nach wiederholten Angriffen weiter vorgedrungen waren , eilten sie abermals zurück , trotzdem sie unterwegs mehrfach durch Granaten zu Boden geschleudert wurden , um in der Le Forest Stellung beim Kommandeur des Reservebataillons Verstärkung und Munition anzufordern . Sodann führten sie die Verstärkungen sehr geschickt und unter gewandter Ausnutzung der feuerarmen Räume durch das feindl. Sperrfeuer nach Maurepas vor , so daß sie dort ohne Verluste ankamen . Einige Stunden später meldeten sie sich erneut freiwillig zum Suchen der Krankenträger . Als sie diese infolge des Nebels nicht finden konnten , begaben sie sich beim Hellwerden zur Regimentstelephonstelle und gaben von hier aus die Anforderung nach Trägern weiter . Sodann kehrten sie wieder mit einem Regimentsbefehl , der wegen des feindl. Feuers nicht hatte vorgebracht werden können zum Bataillon zurück .

Spectacular find Chris, congratulations!

I'm quite new to collecting the MP's, just a few days ago realized that all my MP's were Bavarian. Seems like the Bavarians were in a lot of interesting places at interesting times.

Statistically the "others" have just as much chance at intereting entries as the bavarians ;-)

I concntrate meinly on Bavarian Infantry, but also a sideline of assault units.

I have a pile of Prussian Infantry and Arty Militärpass that I will be getting rid of if you have too many bavarian ones ;-)

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 22:32, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi, it was a nice Somme citation...

Während des Einsatzes der 9. Komp. b. Res. Inf. Rgts. 7 bei Maurepas in der Sommeschlacht am 18.8.1916 zeichnete sich der Inftr. Grieshammer und der Gefr. Mütter durch ganz besondere Tapferkeit aus . Schon während des Tages überbrachten sie im heftigsten Trommelfeuer aller Kaliber verschiedene wichtige Meldungen von der Bataillons zur Regimentsbefehlsstelle . Als dann die Franzosen nach wiederholten Angriffen weiter vorgedrungen waren , eilten sie abermals zurück , trotzdem sie unterwegs mehrfach durch Granaten zu Boden geschleudert wurden , um in der Le Forest Stellung beim Kommandeur des Reservebataillons Verstärkung und Munition anzufordern . Sodann führten sie die Verstärkungen sehr geschickt und unter gewandter Ausnutzung der feuerarmen Räume durch das feindl. Sperrfeuer nach Maurepas vor , so daß sie dort ohne Verluste ankamen . Einige Stunden später meldeten sie sich erneut freiwillig zum Suchen der Krankenträger . Als sie diese infolge des Nebels nicht finden konnten , begaben sie sich beim Hellwerden zur Regimentstelephonstelle und gaben von hier aus die Anforderung nach Trägern weiter . Sodann kehrten sie wieder mit einem Regimentsbefehl , der wegen des feindl. Feuers nicht hatte vorgebracht werden können zum Bataillon zurück .

An outstanding report. It's the small details meted out over the entire action that really speaks to situation.

• 2 weeks later...

During the time spent in the frontline at Maurepas during the battle of the Somme by the Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment Nr. 7 ,  Private Grieshammer and Gefreiter Mütter (both of the 9th Company) distinguished themselves with exemplary courage on the 18th of August 1916. During the day they braved the heaviest bombardments of all calibers to bring messages from the Battalion to Regimental command post. When the French advanced after numerous attacks they once again made the perilous journey. Thrown to the ground numerous times by exploding shells they reached the Le Forest positions to relay a request for reinforcements and ammunition to the commander of the reserve battalion. They then skillfully guided the reinforcements through the enemy barrage using their knowledge of areas where the fire was less heavy to arrive in the front line without loss. A few hours later they volunteered again to search for the stretcher bearers. Due to fog they were not able to find them but as dawn broke they found their way to the regimental headquarters and relayed the need for stretcher bearers. They then returned through the enemy barrage to transmit a message to the battalion.

• 4 weeks later...

Maurepas stuck in my head for some reason.  I thought maybe I'd been there, but I've only been in the general area.

I checked some of my notes and found that a bunch of Prussian Guards officers were killed by Maurepas around that time, so not just Bavarians.  For example, Lt. Hans v. Schweinichen from 1.GDR was killed there on 24 August as a Kp.Fhr. in 4.GRzF.  From GGR 3, Hptm. Wilhelm v. Tippelskirch, Lts. Ernst v. Saucken, Hans-Werner Graf v. Schweinitz u. Krain Frhr. v. Kauder, and Friedrich Freiherr v. Schrötter were all killed there on 3 September.

The 2.GRzF Ehrenliste shows four officers killed on 16 August, two on 18 August, 2 on 24 August and one each on 27 and 28 August by Cléry-Maurepas. Cléry-sur-Somme is about 4 kilometers south of Maurepas.  There are two French military cemeteries located between the two villages.

Maurepas is also a few kilometers south of Delville Wood, where the 1st South African Brigade fought in July and August and where there is a South African National Memorial.