News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KEPI OF A DIVISION GENERAL

03fahnen

Hard to say from the photos but it appears that the brim is machine stitched, so not earlier than about 1870, I'd guess.  The height is probably a clue, as my impression is that French kepis got higher and 'stiffer' as time went on.  This site shows a couple of similar - to my eye - kepis from thew WWI period: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_peaked_caps_of_France

Hello : The Beautiful kepi dates probably from pre WW1 era . and with most precision from 1900 1914 . interesting detail is the  lower ring of soutache around . if it is silver that denotes a division general with special appointment . Pre WW1 the height of the kepi was matter for hot discussions . Regulations established one thing and the fashion others . existed the kepi named polo more or less like the today one , favoured by the youngs , existed the kepi Saumur , taller , and the kepi foulard , nearly a tiare as a journalist of the time wrote . Enfin , c est la France . generally speaking the pre ww1 kepi is taller and less stiffened than the wartime models . and the brim slightly angled . late the brim got horizontal . 

Hello : The Beautiful kepi dates probably from pre WW1 era . and with most precision from 1900 1914 .  Pre WW1 the height of the kepi was matter for hot discussions . Regulations established one thing and the fashion others .  

That sounds familiar!  In a period I know a little about for the British Army - 1810-1820 - there are multiple records of orders saying 'Officers will NOT Wear straw hats!'.  Once is an order, multiple times means everybody IS wearing straw hats.  Regulations never stop enterprising officers from 'improving' their uniforms. ;)

Here is the first response;

c'est un képi d'avant 1914 de coupe polo.
    Deux rangées de broderies donc général de division.
    Feuilles de chêne donc arme combattante.
    Soutache argentée symbolisant les plumes blanches du bicorne en haut du bandeau c'est donc un général de division à commandement supérieur.

What he is saiyng is;

It is a pre-1914 polo-cut cap.
    Two rows of embroideries therefore general of division.
    Oak leaves therefore combatant weapon.
    Silver bracket symbolizing the white feathers of the bicorn at the top of the headband is therefore a general of division with superior command.

I can't comment, for not knowing the matter.

Opinion was given by a expert on a French forum, and no one contradicted him up to now.

But I can informe them about your comment.