News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order of St Alexander

hi new world,

I get your point. Perhaps we see it from different perspectives, hence we got to different conclusions.

You said it right - the book is already 15 years old and a large portion of the information has been deemed as out-of-date. I'd like to see these mistakes corrected in the new edition (even though it cannot be purchased freely either).

In terms of it being the best catalogue out there - it's only partialy true. It really depends on what you intend to use it for. If you collect generic awards, like e.g. Ferdinand/Boris Orders of Merit, then it's perfect. However, if you are interested in the earlier Battenberg awards, like Igor; the history of the system itself or, say, the Red cross badges in particular - then Pavlov's book is of little use. In essence, it's a good reference but I don't think we should overrate it, simply because it has no other 'rivals' out there.

Can you please explain what do you mean by 'Pavlov's classification system'? I think I am confused.

Please note, I am not undermining Pavlov's work. I admire his attempt to cataloguize the whole system of distinctions and I wish him well.

6 hours ago, ilieff said:

...Can you please explain what do you mean by 'Pavlov's classification system'? I think I am confused.

Please note, I am not undermining Pavlov's work. I admire his attempt to cataloguize the whole system of distinctions and I wish him well.

Just what you said, the cataloguization is the classification I was talking about. He is the first one to introduce system grouping awards by periods, types and versions. The value and elegance of such system becomes especially clear if you put it in tables or spreadsheet.

3 hours ago, Igor Ostapenko said:

I take this book from bulgarian seller for $140 ( including posting 3 kg to Israel ) 

image.jpeg

If anybody want - I can to send email of seller 

Please send me his e-mail. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wanted to share this recent photograph with you without having to open another thread, sorry for the off-topic. 

Official portrait of King Simeon on the occasion of His 80th jubilee.

kingSimeon_II.jpg

Thank you for the photo, you can really see details of his awards.

I've noticed couple strange things:

1) Cyril and Methodius order:

- He's wearing BOTH Collar and Regular cross. I was under the impression that only highest class insignia is worn,

- He's wearing C&M sach over left shoulder and bottom of the cross is on his right side. All examples of this award in wear I saw were worn on the opposite side.

2) St Alexander order - the star he's wearing is with swords in the middle, awarded for deeds during active war. Where and when did he manage to get such star? He was just a small kid during WWII.

Hi,

Actually, the order sash should be worn over the left shoulder (the rest of the Bulgarian Grand cross awards are instead worn over the right shoulder). However, there are earlier images of King Simeon (as a teenager), wearing it over the right shoulder. I assume it was down to the lack of knowledge and suitable advisors at that time.

As for the sash and collar combination - it is an interesting choice indeed, but not the only example (as per image below). Plus, being the grand master of the order itself, King Simeon can do as He pleases.

Lastly - the breast star with swords and diamonds. That is also an interesting choice. My assumption is that there is no other suitable breast star to go with the collar, as the other diamond Alexander star is most probably used by Queen Margarita (Giovanna before her, etc). By the way, both stars can be seen on my website.

prince.jpg

It's probably due to the close family relations with the King, rather than any particular merits, even though that, as per the Order statute, it can be given to people with great merits to humanity, in general. It's a bit slippery when it comes to philanthropy, you know :)

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...