News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kaiserlische Heer and Marine units in Crimea in WW 1

Hallo Gents,

I am looking for any info regarding Kaiserlische Army and Marine Battalions involved in Crimea ( especially Odessa area ) in 1918. ( Germans stayed there till Nov 1918 )

Does anyone have any info on them? General info, Sulkevich Pupet Goverment  info or  Units involved  , order of battle etc? Or perhaps  book titles dealing with mentioned subject.

Anything will be appreciated.

Regards,

FRITZEL

IMG_3115.JPG

Hello Fritzel!

The book "Schlachten und Gefechte des Großen Krieges 1914-1918" shows us:

12.-14.3.1918: Gefecht und Einnahme von Odessa (Battle and occupation of Odessa):

Gen.Kdo.52, 212. and 217.Inf.Div. (from Heeresgruppe Linsingen)

19.4.-15.11.1918: Besetzung der Krim (Occupation of the crimean peninsula):

Gen.Kdo.52, 217.Inf.Div. (now from Heeresgruppe Eichhorn-Kiew).

You´ll find the divisional units here:

https://archive.org/details/cu31924027835317

Hallo Die Preußische,

Thank you for taking time to reply to my "cry for help"  in this lesser known subject of WW 1. I do appreciate your input and thanks for providing good links.

Cheers,

FRITZEL

Hello Fritzel!

A short grammar-lesson...

"Die Preußische" is a female adjective...;)

What you mean, it´s called "Der Preuße".

Anyway, if you need more infos about the tropps down in Crimea, let me know, I´ll have look

Hallo Der Preuße,

Sir, Please accept my sincere apology for my use of wrong grammar form in my previous  post.  I am so embarrassed by that :blush: and from now on I will stick to English ( translating in to foreign language via google may produce more embarasemant for me ) 

If you do not mind -  I would like to ask you few more  questions in regard to German units in WW1. Some of my questions  may be trivial to you but they are very important to me and may shed some new  light in my research.

Here we go:

1. How often Germans updated  Armee - Verordnungsblatt / Verlustlisten ? (  I came across information that all casualties were counted in ten day period -  wounded and dead where added every 10 days ) Is this a true statement ?

(  if someone is listed as wounded  on certain day - does it mean that it occured about 2 weeks earlier- prior to that date  ???

2. Is there a record or list of decorated soldiers who received Eisernes Kreuz  I and II Klass ? if so where and how to obtain such records???

3. What  is   Sanitätsbericht  über das Deutsche Heer und Marine im Weltkriege 1914-18 ??? - please briefly explain if possible. 

4.  And Last     VI.  SeeBattalion - ( Reserve in 1914 ) formed from new conscripts had 4 Kompannien  ( 5,6,7,8 ) and II. and IV. and VI. ( 3 Battalonen )  ( later thet add VII so 4 total  )   formed  2nd Regiment Marine Infanterie stationed in Flanders.-  Do I got this right ???

Please advise ...

Sincerely,

FRITZEL

Hello Fritzel!

No problem! I just wanted to correct the grammar, because just a few people here speak german, so I could try to teach you a little bit german. (But my english is not better...;) )

Well, the Verdordnungsblatt was updated differently. Sometimes weekly, sometimes (in peace-time) monthly.

I don´t know about the Verlustlisten. I think it depended on periods with heavy or "silent" battles.

Generally you can say the entry in the Verlustliste came between 2 weeks and a month after the incident happened.

As far as I know ther ain´t no records about EKs published. Probably there were records, but they were destroyed in WW2.

The Sanitätsbericht is a three-volume edition. It explains the works of the medic soldiers, the technical equipment a nd the tactical placements of hospitals and so on.

The Naval Corps in 1918 was:

1st Naval Division (1st. Matrosen-Rgt., 2nd Matrosen-Rgt., 4th Marine-Inf.Rgt.)

2nd Naval Division (3rd Matrosen-Rgt., 4th Matrosen-Rgt., 5th Matrosen-Rgt.)

3rd Naval Division (1st Marine-Inf.Rgt., 2nd Marine-Inf.Rgt., 3rd Marine-Inf.Rgt.)

Hi Fritzel,

with regard to the Verlustlisten: not all wounded or dead were listed during the afore mentioned timespan. Especially navy casualties, but also army were sometimes reported with delay or not at all, so not to inform the enemy in instances of classified actions (like losses of submarines etc.).

GreyC

Hello!

The Crimean peninsula had been occupied by the Korps Kosch (under command of Heeresgruppe Eichhorn).

Units: 217.Inf.Div., bavarian Kav.Div., 15.Landwehr-Div., and from Rumania came 212.Inf.Div.

The 217.Inf.Div. later went to Georgia and later to Serbia.

Map 1: The battles around the Crimean peninsula ("Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918, vol. 13")

Map 2: November 1918 ("Die Rückführung des Ostheeres")

Ordre of battle of the Gen.Kdo.52 in November 1918 ("Die Rückführung des Ostheeres")

Scannen0001.jpg

Scannen0002.jpg

Scannen0003.jpg

Scannen0004.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Hallo Der Preuße, Hi  GreyC,

Thank you for your reply and input.

The Prussian,

Thanks for  detailed maps of Krim - truly appreciated here. Now  thanks to you man,   I  can start track of my family member whereabouts in WW 1. Since he was severely wounded in Flanders previous year he got transfered to East Front.  In 1918 as a Stabgefreiter /Transaltor / he  spend whole 1918 in Ukraine until  he got sick with Malaria virus. 

P.S. If you have more info on troops/ units  in Odessa that will be great.

Sincerely,

FRITZEL

Hello Fritzel!

Do you know his name? He should be listed in the casualty lists. But I have a problem with "Stabsgefreiter". That rank didn´t exist in the Great War. There only was "Gefreiter" and "Obergefreiter" (but Obergefreiter only in the heavy artillery).

For Odessa please look at the units under 7. (württ.) Ldw.Div. in #8

Hi The Prussian,

ofcouse I know his name - may I PM you in this matter  ? I do not want to plaster his name all over net. 

In my post about his original unit Marine See Batalion you will find his picture and original post card he wrote to his fiance family ( future wife ) in 1914. 

Cheers,

FRITZEL