News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

D.S.O. real or fake

Without actually handling it I would say that it is 75% authentic......  As you can appreciate it is hard to tell just from pictures...... There are still a few things of which I am not sure......

M.

I don't really see any reason to doubt it. It is the most common variety, dimensions look good, the shape of the enamel looks sound, I'd be happy to accept it as genuine. Is it a case of too good to be true based on the price?

B

Thanks Binky.

This medal was a part of the medals (including a DFC dated 1943) of a Belgian pilot flew in WW II in the 103 sqadron (RAF).

In that case, there may be something fishy - either with the DSO or with the alleged provenance, because as I'm sure you're aware, this is a Geroge V DSO, awarded between 1911 and 1936 (almost 10,000 awarded), whereas your vendor provenance dictates that if awarded to an allied Air Force officer during the Second World War, it ought to be a Geroge VI type.. It is perfectly possible that a Second World War allied pilot obtained an original example as part of his collection, but he certainly did not receive this precise award. George VI DSOs command a higher price than those awarded by His father.