News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German aeronautical engineer Walter Hübner

Hello Don;

Do you have anything more to give on Walter Hübner?  An aeronautical engineer that is also a pilot?  Was he a test pilot?

The unit he was with?  What unit he was with before he became a pilot?  Do you have any documents?

How do you know Walter Hübner? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I do think that he might be the later Obstlt zV in the Luftwaffe Walter Hübner who was born 15.01.1897 !

He is also listed on ancestry.de regarding some basic info as pilot during the War.  He is noted later on to be an Dipl.Ing. I dont have his complete flying career during the War.

Gunnar

Looking at the image on the RIA site, I would say the missing decoration on the medal bar is the House Order of Hohenzollern, based on the ribbon and the placement of the hook.  There were two Lts.d.R. Hübner with that award, but with no other known info.  

The Walter Hübner that Gunnar notes was wounded twice with JB 5 before going to the Fliegertruppe, according to the Kriegsrangliste-Auszug from Bavarian Armee-Flugpark 6, so the wound badge is accounted for.

The roll of the Olympia-Ehrenzeichen lists "Hübner, Walter, Major, Berlin".  So assuming we are talking about the same guy, probably an E-Offizier before being placed z.V.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again Dave

Does it exist approximate dates when these two different  Lt dR Hübner received the Hohenzollern award ?

I have some clues/ideas when Walter might have received his award.

Gunnar

3 hours ago, Soderbaum said:

Hi again Dave

Does it exist approximate dates when these two different  Lt dR Hübner received the Hohenzollern award ?

I have some clues/ideas when Walter might have received his award.

Gunnar

One was gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt on 27 November 1917:

5952ff4450baa_MWB271117.thumb.jpg.40b6f4f7307ba15237561c72db5ac290.jpg

The other was gazetted on 3 September 1918:

5952ff65dcadb_MWB030918.thumb.jpg.c1c1762c43a6b9f9fb277d47be1b3351.jpg

There was often a gap of one to two months between the date of the award and the date of publication.

Thanks Dave for providing the data.

Unfortunate it does not fit directly with my theory that Walter might have gotten his award very late during the War(due to an annerkennung for an un-specified Lt dR Hübner).

So the hunt continues

Gunnar