News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uffz. Josef STAJENDA, Pilot, FA(A) 240

Greetings. I am looking for any details on this pilot beyond the few stated here. 

Uffz. Josef Stajenda, born 11/19/1897 in Zabrze, (East) Germany. Entered military service at age 16. Served with I.R. 28, possibly into 1917. Sometime in 1917, he transfers to aviation and attends a flight school. Sometime in 1917, he is assigned to Flieger Abteilung (A) 240 on the Western front where he serves as a two-seater pilot. He survives the war and moves to the USA (via Argentina) in February of 1928. He dies 11/5/67 in New York. He earned the Iron Cross 2nd Class and 1st Class along with a pilot badge.

Can anyone provide more service details of his WW1 career? Flight school(s), transfer dates, Armeeflugpark(s), etc. etc.? Many thanks! R

Uffz. Josef Stajenda FAA240 - 1917-18.jpg

Hi Walfisch

There are some good info on him on ancestry.de, like a file from AFP 6 and also marriage certificate.

He served within IR 28 until 310117 when he was posted to FEA 1. On 090217 he was transferred to Flieger Schule Halle a.S. where he probably stayed until  060717 when he was posted back to FEA 1 (despite overwritten in the text  this was the normal way in education for pilots).

Then posted to AFP 6 on 131017 and further to JS I (Jasta Schule) on 171017. Back to AFP 6 on 301017 then to FAA 240 on 071117. He was badly wounded in a crash probably late 0618 but I dont have exact date so I am unsure if he returned to his unit before EOW.. Loss note indicates it was accidently and not due enemy action.

He entered the Army in Ers.Batl. IR 28 on 010315 and was promoted Gefreiter on 090515 and Uffz 220515. He received the EKII on 040916.

Gunnar

Gunnar! Once again you have provided a wealth of details!! Many thanks for your valued information. I will check out ancestry.de for his personal history.

Kindly tell me what sources you used for his military history.

A distant relative only recalled Stajenda stating that he was shot down four times but never was injured/wounded. So much for family lore!

Thank you very much! Walfisch

Hi again Walfisch

The basic info comes from his AFP 6 file which you can find on ancestry.de. It also have some additional info like parents, where he lived, his occupation etc.

The info regarding his wounding comes from the loss list which can be found at http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search/index The wounding would make him an candidate for the wound badge also.

Gunnar

• 1 year later...

I did not know all of this information about my grandfather. I started scanning my mother's (Josefs daughter) photos and I came across a post card he wrote to his mother. Dated April 1918. He said he was awarded the iron cross first class and that he was doing well. 

Thank you for the other comments and information about my grandfather. If anyone has more to please comment. 

On 07/06/2017 at 09:12, walfisch said:

Gunnar! Once again you have provided a wealth of details!! Many thanks for your valued information. I will check out ancestry.de for his personal history.

Kindly tell me what sources you used for his military history.

A distant relative only recalled Stajenda stating that he was shot down four times but never was injured/wounded. So much for family lore!

Thank you very much! Walfisch

I'm his grandson. Would you know how I could find any relatives today?