News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

9th Preussischen Infanterie regiment Berlin Spandau

Dear all, I am looking for info on a Unteroffiziere (in 1928) Hermann Otto Friedrich Jordan. (born 1902 died in about 1936. He was apparently a professional soldier. He was in the 9th prussian (again in 1928 based in Berlin Spandau where he got married). He was my grandfather and died when my mother was young. The only real memories she has was he used to ride a large black horse at the head of his soldiers-  lol. I think he got to be a higher rank and was an 'Uhlan'?

Also any info or pics of the regiment during that time would be great too.

I have no idea how to find info about him so if anybody can help that will be great. Also my deutsch is rubbish!!

Thanks

Derek

Edited by DrDerek
    additional info needed

Hello Derek,

if your grandfather was with the 9th Infanterie Regiment he was an Infanterist not an Ulan. If he served with Reichswehr Kavallerie he couldn´t have been an Ulan either, as the Reichwehr did not distinguish between different branches of the Kavallerie. There was just Kavallerie. They did all, however, have lances till 1927.

If he was an Unteroffizier in the mid-twenties he will probably not have been promoted to an officers rank unless he was on an officer´s path from the start.

Do you know the first name he was called by?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi GreyC,

Thanks for such a quick response; Info is rather sketchy but in 1928 he was in the 9th but he might have been, later, an officer perhaps as mother definitely remembers him on 'the large black horse'! Maybe as he was a career soldier he was promoted later but i think the family was quite well off from his roots. Just rumours/supposition but they were about a fairly good career.

I think he was mostly known as Hermann Jordan  (from Bernberg)

Thanks for your help and interest

D

Hi DrDerek,

if he indeed was an officer in the late 30s he would most probably not have lived in the barracks, especially if married with child. I did a bit of random sampling in the Berlin address-books of the mid-thirties. No Hermann Jordan listed I am afraid. Do you know if he died in Berlin?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC