News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Family Heirlooms British Army

Good evening,

I have come across a box of family heirlooms and am trying to find a relationship here. I'm not sure if anybody would be able to cast some light. As you can see I have a broach bearing a small photograph, the broach says Mafeking. One of the cap badges is for the Finsbury Rifles but I cannot date this particular badge. The other two badges are the same, I cannot date or find the regiment but they bear the Latin motto: Motto: Honi soit qui mal y pense. Many thanks for any insights.

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

The badge in picture No. 1 - Army Service Corps - WW1

The badge in picture to is also WW1 period......

The Mafeking pin is a souvenir of the Boer War period with a picture of Baden-Powell......

Mike

Simon

As the cap badges you have shown are both Great War era items it shouldn't be too difficult to tie them into your Family tree if you can provide us with Names of any Family Members of that period. Of course they may just be badges picked up over the years but you never know what may turn up.

Regards Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the names that may relate to the cap badges.

Henry E Richards. Born 1878
    George F Richards. Born 1880
    Frederick A Richards. Born 1883
    John William Richards. Born 1867
    John Richards. Born 1842

All born in London in areas of St Pancras, Islington, Tufnell Park.

Simon

Thanks for the names and dates, I'll start working through the London Regiment first (Finsbury Rifles) as that may be more productive with a fairly common surname like Richards in the ASC.

May take a while but I'll see what I can find.

Best Regards Simon

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon

i don't know the answer to the significance, if any, but thought worth a mention....

The two cap badges in pic 1 are slightly different in design which may help someone to identify the period of issue.

the slides are clearly different lengths. The first of them slightly longer.

Also, the first badge is more 'rubbed' yet still has fine detail to the letters ASC.

the second is less worn/rubbed yet appears to lack the same detail to the letters?

Particularly in times of war, when savings are required, these are the sort of change made that is discreet yet saves money.

The ASC received the Royal in 1918 becoming the RASC.

----//--/////----

BTW : According to Wiki ...

The Finsbury Rifles were known as the 'Pentonville Pissers'

---///------/

Given the DOB's of your relatives I like to think you have the 3 badges worn by the younger 3 on your list 

best wishes

tony