News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rank Insignia and structure of the Indian National Army (Azad Hind)

Kekoa Dettloff

While there are a number of topics here discussing the number of awards made for the Azad hind during the Second World War. I always found the online resources regarding the day to day organization and command structure and limited at best.

In looking for the rank structure of the INA, one that I have been straining to find for years. To date I without any proper printed materials within travel range I have been able to only discover one pair of epaulettes from the Imperial War Museum, along with two half pairs from the Swatantrata Senani Museum.

While the Imperial War Museum provides some information regarding it, including it's designation as that of a lieutenant colonel, the to half pars can only be speculated trough online resources, one as a full colonel with reasonable comparison to the listed IMP pair, and the other appearing that of a general officer considering that much of the INA's officer corps had originated from the British Indian army.

large_000000.thumb.jpg.b26633e33b4fc077be7fa141b579d3cd.jpg0908_Brunch_ID29new.jpg.d3d4ae5f604d4bb4ca050e748bbdacc0.jpg

Lt. Col. IWM - http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30076351

Unlisted SSM - http://www.hindustantimes.com/brunch/the-story-of-our-independence-tryst-with-destiny-speech/story-zQhI1FFh5vTttUjNB41YwL.html

Additionally in regards to the order of battle for the Azad hind on both the European and Burmese fronts due to a lack of more directly accreditable sources of information I have been forced to rely upon sources of information such as Wikipedia and other community based sites for information. 

Indian legion (Europe)

• Panzergrenadier Regiment 950 (indische)     - 2000 men
      • I. Bataillon – infantry companies 1 to 4
      • II. Bataillon – infantry companies 5 to 8
      • III. Bataillon – infantry companies 9 to 12
      • 14th infantry-gun company   (6 - 7.5 cm le.IG 18)
      • 15th anti-tank company          (6 - Pak)
      • 16th Engineer Company     
      • Honour guard company

Second Indian National Army

• General Staff
      • Chief of General Staff - Major General Jaganath Rao Bhonsle (Major General Mohammed Zaman Kiani December 1944?)

• 1st Division - Major General Mohammed Zaman Kiani   (Colonel Shah Nawaz Khan December 1944)

• 2nd Division - Colonel N.S. Bhagat (later Colonel Prem Sahgal)
      • 1st Infantry Regiment
      • 5th Guerrilla Regiment - Colonel Gurbaksh Singh Dhillon (transferred October 1944) 
        • (Reformed to 2nd Infantry Regiment)

• 3rd Division
      • Unknown sub units

http://indpaedia.com/ind/index.php/Azad_Hind_Fauj_(Indian_National_Army)

If anyone else have any information or resources regarding these topics that you would we willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo nui loa iā ʻoe.

Interesting to note the Malay language inscription on the circular medallion, lower right - roughly "Empire of Japan -  Thanksgiving (or perhaps better as appreciation ) Greater Asia"  

H