News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Shooting medal? Your opinions please

Hello Fellows

The menal shown below and the pin were shown to me by a friend who would like to have them identified.  This is not an area I am familiar with however my wife took one look and said it was a German Shooting Medal.  It is made of silver and stamped 1933 on the back.  All I could find about the pin was that it was something associated with an executive body.  Is my wife correct...again?:rolleyes:

The medal and pin are two separate items.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian

IMG_0094.jpg

Hi,

it could well be a shooting medal. it shows a typical target and King = König should stand for Schützenkönig. The pin below reads Vorstand=board (or steering committee).

All shooting societies (indeed all clubs) have one.

GreyC

Hi GreyC,

Thank you for the quick response.  I will email my friend and let him know. I find the date of 1933 quite interesting as it is the last year of the Weimar Republic and makes me wonder if the recipient might have even been a former member of the Freikorps. I should not speculate as that only muddies the waters of history, still it makes me wonder.

Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Hi Uwe,

I didn't mean to imply that these had anything to do with a former member of the Freikorps, sorry if I gave that impression. It was just a little musing as to the recipient. While the medal is not in my collection it would have at least some historic importance if only in the date of the award, an end of an era so-to-speak.

I've added black powder British military hand guns to the collection because the date on the piece was the same as a major event. For example a firearm dated 1815 would not, and probably could not, have been necessarily used at the Battle of Waterloo; still it stands to represent, or commemorate, the battle.  It also gives me a reason to make yet another purchase, as if I needed a reason.;)

Regards

Brian