News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FJi era KuK. Major-Generals Uniform.

Farkas

I was was lucky enough to get these together recently.

The Jacket... Slightly worn inside lining but outside it's in cracking condition. With Bicorn hat and the 7 foot long (2mtrs+)  sash folded for wear around the waist....

I hope you like them Gentlemen....

IMG_1297.thumb.JPG.8589a697a778bccb4646114e0bf51162.JPG

IMG_1272.thumb.JPG.f5743d36bc2297f7ebb9ff3a26b7b8f2.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

Tony

IMG_1443.PNG

Edited by Farkas
    Photos and mistakes!

Hello Farkas : Its not a generals uniform , look at the plain buttons , Generals used a special design of buttons with a rose on relief on it . To me is a waffenrock of medical officer in the rank of Major . Black piped in red collar and cuffs . the bicorne has not feathers .

Gents

on a phone and I'm struggling with uploading photos.... file too big... tried cropping them but not so good then.   Will work on some but would still enjoy requests....

cheers

tony

Hi Bayern

thanks for pointers

ill post some better pics of the hat asap. There is a little pouch sown into the crack at the top where the gold band reaches the top so I think it did have feathers once upon a time!

can I just check please...

do you think that this is -

a silver or gold star?

on silver or gold collar?

---//

i had to Google waffenrock so please be patient with me!!

Cheers

tony

10 hours ago, wraith42 said:

Medical officers (Sanitätswesen) had green waffenrocks, but with a single row of buttons and with red collar and cuffs.

This is a waffenrock for a major of the general staff (Generalstab).

Very nice piece.

Thanks Wraith42

If it did belong to a Major then would that mean the star on my piece is silver coloured ? and does the black felt band above the angle help denote the difference to the Major Generals which would be red?   

tony

Edited by Farkas
    Wording

Hello to all : If the colour of the jacket is green , the collar and cuffs black piped wiyh red , the buttons plain and gold the braid on collar and cuffs must be gold ( button colour ) and the star silver . you have the uniform of a Major in Generalstab .

On 1/7/2017 at 02:36, wraith42 said:

Medical officers (Sanitätswesen) had green waffenrocks, but with a single row of buttons and with red collar and cuffs.

This is a waffenrock for a major of the general staff (Generalstab).

Very nice piece.

Hello : Sanitatsoffiziere weared dark green one row , jackets with red collar and cuffs , Medical officers ; double breasted jacket in blue colour with black collar and cuffs piped red . and gold buttons . at first look the jacket looks to my eyes as blue . later realized that it is green 

On 02/07/2017 at 15:26, Trooper_D said:

Good advice, Bayern - this page, in general

http://www.mlorenz.at/Bewaffnete_Macht/08_Generalitaet/08_Generalitaet.htm

and this image, in particular

Generalstab_oberst_vs_01.jpg

Hi all

thanks for joining in with me, I joined knowing I've got a lot to learn!!

The first mistake I made when trying to identify the rank was the mistaken belief that the Major collars were in silver. I've looked at the tables I had referred to and they were mainly in black and white. Then with coloured plates/illustrations silver was used for majors and gold for generals.

The all important bit was, as you've shown, the black backing, and as I now know, the fact it could be either silver or gold depending on regiment colour/buttons.....

so thanks for putting me straight. 

Cheers tony

Hi Gents.

Im starting to understand how to upload decent photos.... (if there are no photos in this post then I'm not!)

Bicorne Hat - FJi bullion roundels...

purchased with the Waffenrock

sadly missing the feather plume....

and label...

11rqkj7.jpg

11rqkj7.jpg

j64ocn.jpg

jhvmoh.jpg

2gt7rbq.jpg

2i05ikg.jpg

m8d2xf.jpg

2wdy7go.jpg

if these ohotos work then I'm up and running.... more photos will follow....

tony

Hello : Good photos ! The bicorne is in rather good condition . the feather bush would be of green ostrich feathers .perhaps you could find an artisan able to make a replacement . after all its question of make a green duster .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gents

Once I had 'decided' my uniform was a Major General ! I didn't think these trousers were related. and had put them to one side.

I think they are too late in manufacture

the metal zipper is made by 'lightning' who google says started 1921 over here in UK....  

im wondering please if these are 'clearly' recognisable as 'this' or 'that' to anyone?

they are lovely kit in their own right...... 

tony

IMG_1317.thumb.JPG.3fdc8be73e73dbdc39deedabc9d6c9c4.JPG

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.12afc6ee4ee0de2a79a37629cc8c0419.JPG

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.bd1fb3c5e34a9a7f3a210f6d4ba30ebf.JPG

IMG_1293.thumb.JPG.fcfc95aa0a25cdbc7b47f019dfe0efec.JPG

tony 

8 hours ago, Bayern said:

Farkas The generals trousers were characterized by a double strip of red cloth . each strip of 35 mm width and a central piping of 2mm . your trousers have a single strip . 

Hi Bayern

thanks as ever for sharing your knowledge.....

yes, I had overlooked that central piping when I bought this uniform.

I'm doubt now that they are even 'German' at all but I do like them in their own right.

So

I wonder if you might have any ideas what their origin could be?

----///

They are not of the same era as the rest of the uniform either.....

IMG_2049.thumb.PNG.2e9e729a793313df1ea415a0ca5220d5.PNG

((Although apparently the US army apparently embraced the zipper during WW1 spotting its versatility.))

----///

tony

On 31/07/2017 at 02:42, Bayern said:

Hello Farkas : If the trousers are black in colour and the strip about one and half inch wide , the most probable origin is british . for example , Foot Guards , for officers .

Thanks Bayern

you are spot on...... 

tony

On 02/08/2017 at 03:07, Bayern said:

Farkas : Are you of hungarian ancestry ?

Hi Bayern,

ive only just seen your question so apologies for delay...

yes indeed!

My Father was born in Vienna so I always considered myself to be half Austrian and half Welsh

But Then i found my paternal grandparents birth certificates at my Mums and it showed my Grandfather was born in Zalaegerszeg, Hungary. So just knowing that, made me feel that little bit more Hungarian!

tony

Thanks , I suspected that from the beginning . jokes apart , I knew here in Argentina , years ago ,Hungarians Croatians , Slovenians , Poles some czechs inclusive that feeled themselves as Austrians , 

Hi Bayern

i guess it must have been possible with the break up of AH in 1918 to decide what identity you adopt? Would an 'Austrian' have commanded more respect from society than the 'rest' of the nations you mention?

i'm Welsh and therefore also British but I could never officially be English. I'm often considered as such when abroad though - English/British often considered one and the same.!

one last quirk- my Nana (the only grandparent I met) was born in Poland, was in her own words Polish and yet if born today she would be considered Ukrainian!

It's a funny old world!

--------

you are in Argentina?

do you mind me asking Bayern, if you were born there or have travelled yourself?

tony